Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 selecting arrows >

selecting arrows

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

selecting arrows

Old 11-30-2007, 01:30 PM

Default selecting arrows

Hi,
I am currently shooting Easton Excels and was looking for an arrow upgrade. I was looking at the lightspeeds
but would prefer something a bit heaver for hunting, I'm on a tight budget and was looking for arrows that are good for target and hunting any suggestions??

Nic
Old 11-30-2007, 01:32 PM

Default RE: selecting arrows

Carbon Express Terminator Hunters.

I think we sell those for....$90/dozen......I think.....

I understand the money issue.....I'll just simply say get the best arrows you can afford.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:35 PM

Easton Axis.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:37 PM

thanks!!
I am looking at they axis but still not sold on them.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:50 PM

ORIGINAL: Nichunter

thanks!!
I am looking at they axis but still not sold on them.
Good. Sell yourself on something else, they just aren't worth the money, IMHO. Tolerances aren't as tight as other arrows in the same price bracket. They are tough, however...because of their thick wall, which also makes them fairly heavy. Don't get me wrong, they're good arrows, but not THAT good.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:46 PM
Typical Buck

Gold Tips anybody.......get some XT hunters that are trimmed on both ends
Old 12-01-2007, 10:09 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-02-2007, 09:25 PM

I heard good stuff about Gold tip arrows but witch type should I get for hunting and tournaments??
Old 12-03-2007, 04:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Carbon Express Maxima 350's with blazers....
Old 12-03-2007, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Nichunter

I heard good stuff about Gold tip arrows but witch type should I get for hunting and tournaments??
I don't shoot the XT's as they can be bought almost anywhere, and at a fairly reasonable price. For both hunting and tournaments (what kind of tournaments) I shoot the UL 22 Pro series. Although they are a 300 spine I can get them to tune decently anywhere from 48# to 72# at 27" long.

For 3D I set them up with 80 grain Nibbs and 2-4" feathers. I hate screw-in points. For hunting I use the typical insert and screw-in broadheads with Duravane 4" LP vanes or feathers. No need to spend the extra money fro Pro series if you don't want to. If you cut about 1 1/2" from the nock end and finish by cutting from the point end you should end up with a pretty straight shaft. Something around .002".

Then there is the regular Ultralite series which come in the common 500, 400,and 300 spine and accept regular inserts and nocks, supplied by GT. At 27" and using 80gr Nibbs I can get the weight of the 500's down to 267 grains, which fits right into my 53# 3D setup. I don't use these for hunting, but could with inserts.

Understand there is a tradeoff with any shaft. You can go thick walled and heavy for better penetration or thin walled and fast. The thin walled arrows are more fragile and can break easier, but I just consider it part of the cost of shooting. And being fairly accomplished at it a dozen arrows last me 5 years or more. I don't group shoot anymore and rarely do I miss a target shooting 3D so arrows last for years. Usually I end up getting something newer and the old ones go into my arrow bucket.

Quick Reply: selecting arrows

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.