Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 When to draw the line? >

When to draw the line?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

When to draw the line?

Old 11-30-2007, 12:24 PM
Fork Horn

Default When to draw the line?

With a lot of the new bows and technologies on the market today I often wonder when we as bowhunters will draw the line. It seems like a lot of bowhunters today will use all the technologies that are legal to use. If someone comes out with a bow that shoots 500 fps and we can shoot deer at 70 and 80 yards will we still consider that bow hunting? With modern compound bows, range-finders, lighted sight pins, expandable broadheads, trigger releases, etc... is there any available technology that we as bowhunters wouldnt use, if it was legal? Seems like too many people bowhunt simply to extend thier season.

Old 11-30-2007, 12:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: When to draw the line?

ORIGINAL: passthrough24

With a lot of the new bows and technologies on the market today I often wonder when we as bowhunters will draw the line. It seems like a lot of bowhunters today will use all the technologies that are legal to use. If someone comes out with a bow that shoots 500 fps and we can shoot deer at 70 and 80 yards will we still consider that bow hunting? With modern compound bows, range-finders, lighted sight pins, expandable broadheads, trigger releases, etc... is there any available technology that we as bowhunters wouldnt use, if it was legal? Seems like too many people bowhunt simply to extend thier season.
Technology doesn't extend the season, technology only assists the brutal climate changes that some us face each year and makes it more comfortable for those long hours in the freezing temps and rain. It also assists in making better, more ethical and accurate shots as well. And as far as shooting deer at 80 or 90 yards... well to each his own, but me personally, no more than 45 to 50 yard shots. There is way to many things in the deer woods that could happen to throw that arrow off and wound a deer. I want to retrieve the deer not far from where I shot it...not wonder if it will die.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Who cares why they bow hunt as long as they are out there bow hunting legally, respecting their own hunting limitations, andaren't trying to force their hunting views and methods upon others. What's wrong with wanting to extend your hunting season?

Same could be said about rifles. There was a time when everyone used muskets. Now we have cartridges like the 300 ultra mags, 338 Lapua, etc... that extend the range to 1000 yards.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:37 PM
Dominant Buck

Seems like too many people bowhunt simply to extend thier season.
I don't know anyone who bowhunts for this reason, exclusively. I think MANY got into it for this reason.....and fell in love.

Nothing wrong with that as a reason, though!

I draw the line when something helps me draw the bow......or when something helps me hold my bow at full draw. There are a LOT of people taking advantge of equipment that does just those things.....and I have nothing against that. It's just not for ME.

We've got a guy in these forums that shoots the HECK out of his compound with an arm and a 1/2. ABSOLUTELY AMAZING and an inspiration to me (and others, I'm sure). How's THAT for sticking to what you love??
Old 11-30-2007, 12:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

I drew the line many years ago...I don't use a release, still shoot fingers, it just feels more natural to me...I don't use a peep, but I do use 2 pins, when I went from shooting a recurve to a compound, I realized shooting pins was much more accurate...My bow is about 15 years old, not the fastest but it works...I also use aluminum arrows and a fixed broadhead...
Old 11-30-2007, 12:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I don't know anyone who bowhunts for this reason, exclusively. I think MANY got into it for this reason.....and fell in love.
Exactly the reason I did .... now I love to bow hunt more than gun hunting .....
Old 11-30-2007, 01:29 PM

And the people 150 years ago used all of the technology available to them as well. Good thing too, or we would still be hunting like the Native Americans, and living like it too.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:37 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: passthrough24

Is there something wrong with this!!??

If it were allowed, I would possible hunt all year round.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:12 PM
Fork Horn

Theres too many of these controversial threads, lets talk about something fun.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:44 PM
Fork Horn

I never intended on saying that it is wrong to use technology or anything, I personally use pretty high tech gear...I would hunt year round too if I could...but if gun hunting was allowed from sept 15-dec 31...how many people would still bowhunt?

I really didnt want to offend anybody, I am a college student and one of my proffessors, knowing I am a hunter, suggested I wrote my final paper on how technology affects bowhunting...so I guessI figuredI might get some ideas here....

Quick Reply: When to draw the line?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.