Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How not to hang a stand.....ever! >

How not to hang a stand.....ever!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How not to hang a stand.....ever!

Old 11-27-2007, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator

Default How not to hang a stand.....ever!

Because if you start doing it, you may think you are invincible and nothing bad can happen to you. Start bad habits and its likely you will keep the bad habits. I've been lucky. I didn't know any better when I started hanging stands, nobody showed me and when I started hanging stands I never heard of using a safety harness. I am not going to tempt fate again and because my son is now bowhunting with me seriously for the first time in his life, I will not allow and have not allowed him to do as I have done for so many years. For over 30 years now I have followed this procedure while hanging hundreds of treestands. Warning...... doing the following can and may kill you or render you helpless for the rest of your life. Do not roll the dice with life as I have done hundreds of times almost all of my bowhunting career[:@]:

1. Screwing in treesteps or using a climbing stick and nothing attaching me to the tree.

2. I've always carried a hangon in one hand while climbing the tree, even two heavy steel stands that I own. This means I have to climb with one hand on the steps or sticks while carrying the stand up the tree in the other. Sometimes for balance I place my free hand on the side of the tree while moving up a step.....this means no hand at all is on any step at that particular instant!

3. While standing on the top step(sometimes two steps), I've placed my weight against the tree or wrapped one leg around the tree or step for balance.

4. While holding the stand against the tree on the location I have chosen, I have to somehow take the chain or strap and fling it around my shoulder or arm so that its around the tree for attachment. I usually decide how to do that at the heat of the moment. Sometimes I have to hold the stand in my one hand against the tree and with all of my strength hold the stand against the tree. I then reach around with my free hand to grab the end of the chain/strap.

5. I have to hold the stand in one hand and use my other hand to attach the chain/strap with the other hand..........this means I have no hands gripping the tree. I have to balance myself against the tree with one foot firmly around a step or a leg partly pressed around the tree.

6. After attaching the chain/strap to the hook or other stand device I can finally again hold on with one hand while pulling the strap tight with the other hand.

7. Most of the time I've had the platform almost level or above the top step or stick meaning I must climb up into my stand. I am always careful to note that the platform will not move sideways, but just think what could happen while stepping up onto the stand if the stand shifted!

8. Sometimes I use a pull up rope for my bow and sometimes not, because I either forgot it or didn't already have it attached to my stand. This means I had to climb back down and while climbing with one hand I carried my bow with the other. I also have to climb back down with one hand and the bow in the other if I do not have the pull up rope.

9. I've never attached a safety harness to the tree until in the stand.

10. By doing all of the above I have been putting all of my trust into a step not breaking, my stand not being defective, my hands or feet not slipping.

All extremely stupid, reckless, careless moves.....with the most dangerous being hanging a stand with nothing attaching me to the tree. This means I never have two hands free, sometimes not even one hand free for a few seconds. I've come close to slipping a few times, one wrong move and I most likely would not be typing this, I might not even be alive. I have been extremely lucky. I've bowhunted from treestands for over 30 years now. I bet the odds in Las Vegas that I could do this procedure for another 30 years without dying or becoming permanently disabled is 100-1. The odds are against me each time. It only takes one instant, one millisecond to change your whole world and your loved one's world. Do it the right way, not as I have done.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How not to hang a stand.....ever!

Thanks Cougar.
I have never been in a tree stand. Mostly because my family has asked me not to do it.
I appreciate that you took the time to give this info to people that do go out and hunt in tree stands
Old 11-27-2007, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

So basically, use common sense.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have been guilty to at times
Old 11-27-2007, 10:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Add me to the list as well[&:]

Old 11-27-2007, 10:35 AM

I've never hung a "hang-on" before. I have one but just never got around to hanging it. I was planning on using my climber to get to the deisred height and then pull the stand up with a rope and then secure it to the tree. Seems like that would be fairly safe.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:46 AM

Thanks for the insight Coug. I'll have my kids read this so that they get it from someone other than me

Old 11-27-2007, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks Cougar.
I have never been in a tree stand. Mostly because my family has asked me not to do it.
I appreciate that you took the time to give this info to people that do go out and hunt in tree stands
DannyD Do not be discouraged from using a hangon, ladder, or climbing tree stand. They are very safe when used correctly and hung correctly. Just learn to do it the right way, not as I have done.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

I've never hung a "hang-on" before. I have one but just never got around to hanging it. I was planning on using my climber to get to the deisred height and then pull the stand up with a rope and then secure it to the tree. Seems like that would be fairly safe.
ducsauce installing treesteps and climbing sticks are very safe. Hanging a stand is very safe. Just use a safety line and harness. Most of all use a safey line attached to your harness while installing a hangon stand, leaving both hands free and your weight will be balanced. Again......installing and using hangons are very safe when the technique used is correct.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:16 AM
Spike

Thanks Cougar, as I can only wish I had read this and really thought about it 10 years ago. Unfortunatley I'm one of the lucky few who have fallen 12 plus feet out of a tree and come away with only a broken wrist and some broken ribs. Was standing on a climbing stick pulling up a stand and foot slipped (had rubber boots on). It was amazing how fast gravity will put you on the ground before you even have time to think about what just happened. Fortunately I had somebody with me who rushed me to the hospital. I cannot emphasize enough thee importance of a safety vest and a linemans belt, as they've made them easy to put on and use. Hopefully your article will prevent others from being as foolish as I was:-)

Quick Reply: How not to hang a stand.....ever!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.