Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Let's talk late season......... >

Let's talk late season.........

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Let's talk late season.........

Old 11-27-2007, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Let's talk late season.........

Well it's quickly approaching. I have 2 doe tags left in PA right now and am pretty sure I know how to fill those, but I also have a buck tag and either sex tag in NY that I would like to start focusing on. In NY I have weekends from this upcoming weekend, until 12/16 and can squeeze one more 3 day weekend in there as well, most likely the weekend of 12/7.

I know obviously food sources in the evenings, however I have seen VERY little movement in those areas during late season by bucks in the last few years, Dan's place gets a bit more pressure than mine and they have usually smartened up a bit.

So what do you guys think?
Old 11-27-2007, 08:01 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Let's talk late season.........

So glad you posted this, Matt. I'm wondering exactly what the food source IS, about now????
Old 11-27-2007, 08:01 AM

Don't know what to tell you. Those late season hunts on previously pressured deer sure are tough. I've never done well around here. Night time movement and hiding all day.

I'd be interested in hearing what others do on pressured deer.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:06 AM
Typical Buck

BEANS, BEANS, and MORE BEANS. At least when it gets colder. We are going to want to focus on late season food sources, and places that have not received much pressure. This is the one time of the year when you will find the mature bucks running with the rest of the crowd. This is my take for late-season, I dont think we are there yet, but we will be in about 3 weeks!!

Stay warm and hunt high!
Old 11-27-2007, 08:07 AM

That is tough Matt, is their any standing corn in the area? Around here the corn is still standing (which is going to seriously hinder the rifle hunters out along with the crappy weather). Food sources are always the key, but more importantly is finding the areas where the deer feel a little comfortable and secluded at these food sources. With all the pressure from the rifle hunters the deer aren't going to just poke out into open fields to eat. I would look for little "hidden corners" around any standing corn fields as they may be hot spots.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

There's no question, late season hunting for deer that have been pressured hard all year is tough business. The bigger bucks don't like to make their way onto the food sources until after dark, and usually aren't bedded far enough away to be able to sneak in and catch them staging without bumping them first.

I don't have any experience with late season success on any bucks to speak of, so I can't really provide any great insights. The best I can tell you is to hit it as hard as you can and hope that one of them makes a mistake and shows up early one night. Or take some chances and try to get in as tight to their bedding areas as possible. If you can get lucky enough to have an evening hunt right before a big front moves in the deer should be on their feet early, hopefully increasing your odds for success.

Personally, I'm going to see what I can do to get right on top of the bedding areas early in the mornings to catch them coming back in, and likewise get as close as I possible can in the evenings to catch them coming out to food. The fun part is when you do get a buck to show up, usually you have to deal with a line of does first meaning there's a lot more eyes, ears, and noses to fool before you get a shot off. Good stuff!

Any way you look at it, late season is brutal and takes a lot of hard work to tough it out and come out successful. But when you do, the success is oh so sweet (or so I've heard )
Old 11-27-2007, 08:22 AM

Here in NE the gun season end a week ago. I shot a average 8 point yesterday. It was 20 degrees when i got up windy and cold as all get out. Got to my stand late was starting to get light. I climb up the tree in my chimer pulled my bow up put a arrow in it and than put it in my bow holder. I put my head net on and looked around and a buck was coming trough the timber headed right to me. He got about 30 yards from me and stopped. I wasn't going to shoot him he hasn't that big, but it's cold out side and the riffle season had just ended and it hard hunting after it. I drawed my bow back and he turned a little away from be, but was still standing. I shot he run about 60 yards and went head over heals. I took my binoculars out and I could see the bloody arrow stuck in the ground. As I was getting down there was 3 doe right be hided me and I was haft way down the tree. It was a short and sweet hunt that morning took about 20 mins. Not the kind of buck I wanted, but I have lot's of deer in the freezer now with two deer this year
Old 11-27-2007, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've had the most late season success doing small 2 man pushes through bedding areas with funnels. One sitter, one pusher, the pusher basically slowly still hunts along, not trying to scare deer out, more so just nudging them out into the funnel areas.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:55 AM
Typical Buck

Read this:

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2467770&mpage=1&key=&#246777 0
Old 11-27-2007, 09:06 AM

That is a great thread and there are tactics there that can be used anywhere, but that thread is geared more towards the midwest, where this one is more about pressured late season deer back here in the east, unless Im reading Rick James post incorrectly.

The best advise I've seen here so far for pressured deer is the slow two man push.

Quick Reply: Let's talk late season.........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.