Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 shooting a squirrel with a bow >

shooting a squirrel with a bow

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

shooting a squirrel with a bow

Old 11-26-2007, 02:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default shooting a squirrel with a bow

OK a few time when i have been hunting i have had squirrels come up 10 yards out and hang out

i thought about trying to shoot one with my bow to see if could

has anyone done this is it likely your hit one
Old 11-26-2007, 02:12 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: shooting a squirrel with a bow

While deer hunting? I've never really thought about it (seems I'd risk giving away my position), but I "think" it's against the law to have anything but BH's in my quiver, here....and I sure as HECK am not going to waste a BH on a tree rat!
Old 11-26-2007, 02:14 PM
Typical Buck

yep, i have been aggrevated to the level that i can't help but let one fly a time or two and so far have connected twice our of maybe four attempts. they appear to be all over the place and i can't stand the noise, but don't lose an arrow for a squirrel, twice as aggravating!

i have learned one thing about probability in archery, your probability gets much better if you actually shoot at the squirrel......it isn't about how likely......its how good of a shot you are bro!! BSD- big squirrel down!
Old 11-26-2007, 02:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've killed two this year, and last year I was 0-4. So, I do take a crack at them occassionaly!
Old 11-26-2007, 02:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

I've thought about it 4,519,632,597 times, but never flung an arrow at one. The one the other day that ran back and forth across the tree limb above me was lucky he didnt' get it. He was dumping snow and water on my head and down my neck all day.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:23 PM

I carry an old arrow with a field tip for just this. Got a groundhog this year! Have gotten a few squirrels in my day. I dont believe you jeopardize your position unless theres actually deer within eye site. I llike what bhunter50 said BSD!!!
Old 11-26-2007, 02:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

I always carry one field point in my quiver so I can pick out a leaf and shoot it before getting down from my stand... came in handy about mid-week while Matt was here, as I skewered a big red fox squirrel at 22 yards for him to take home to his taxidermist!
Old 11-26-2007, 02:38 PM
Fork Horn

I really enjoy bowhunting squirrels. Broadheads of course make the most certain and fastest work of them, but obviously are less than ideal when the squirrel is up a tree.My preference is forJudos, steel blunts, empty cartridge casings, andespecially Ace hex blunts.

Old 11-26-2007, 02:45 PM
Typical Buck

Never have, but wanted too many times, just knew in my mind if I did draw on one, there would be a buck sneaking around and bust me. I did shoot a racoon that was in a limb above me, afraid that critter was going to get in my lap.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

i might try it next time i am out i wont when there up in a tree
if there ground level at worst i am out some fletchs or a need to sharpen a bh

Quick Reply: shooting a squirrel with a bow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.