Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 shooting a squirrel with a bow >

shooting a squirrel with a bow

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

shooting a squirrel with a bow

Old 11-26-2007, 02:51 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: shooting a squirrel with a bow

Ya all the time!.. Last night I had squirrels within 5 yds of me all night in my blind but its gun season and Im not going to blow a squirrel to pieces. This year during bow season while on the stand I did manage to take one with my bow. I used a broadhead and the way the squirrel was sitting between two limbs the broadhead never hit the tree!! Lucky me
Old 11-26-2007, 02:54 PM

I have killed 17 of them over the years with the bow. I have not done it over 15 yrs though. BH and field pts. either way you can whack em!!
Old 11-26-2007, 03:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

A rabbit was the first animal I ever killed with a bow when I was 14, a week later shot a squirrel in a pine tree with a flu flu arrow and a bird snaro point - used to hunt them quite a bit as a child, would normally get one or two per trip, would use the flu flu arrows and judo points mainly
Old 11-26-2007, 03:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've shot one before. Make sure that they're on the ground and not in a tree (if you want your arrow back).
Old 11-26-2007, 03:19 PM
Typical Buck

I carry an old BH and arrow for stuff like this, armadillo mainly round here. i like squirls.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:19 PM
Fork Horn

Paraphrased from something Dean Torges once wrote:

"You mean you didn't shoot at a squirrel because you were afraid of spooking deer? Don't ever do that. The squirrels resent the hell out of it!"
Old 11-26-2007, 03:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I did it once. I had a pesky squirrel harrassing me all day. He offered me a 5 yard shot, almost straight down. That slick trick just about tore him in half, but he still managed to go 25 yards before he "crashed". He actually was pinned to the ground, but he somehow managed to jump off the arrow and run away. You'd be amazed at the blood trail a squirrel can make.

I did it but I won't do it again. I didn't eat the squirrel, and I felt guilty. I try to only kill what I intend to eat. Plus I ruined a perfectly good broadhead.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:30 PM

What didnt you eat?????? squriil= tasty dinner
Old 11-26-2007, 03:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I always carry a field tip with me, have carried one for probably 8yrs or better but have only shot a groundhog. I have wanted to shoot squirrels about 100000000 times but just never bring myself to it.

Old 11-26-2007, 03:55 PM
Dominant Buck

When I was young, squirrel and rabbit is what got me started bow hunting. We use to make blunts out 38 pistol cases glued to our ceder shafts. We would walk and shoot squirrel and rabbit with them with out ofrecurves. Actually, a squirrel is the first animal i ever shot with a bow.

Quick Reply: shooting a squirrel with a bow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.