Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How do YOU hang your hang-ons?? >

How do YOU hang your hang-ons??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How do YOU hang your hang-ons??

Old 11-26-2007, 12:10 PM
Typical Buck

Default How do YOU hang your hang-ons??

Anyone have any pictures or tutorials on how they hang their lock-on stands? I have never done it before and have noticed on here that it can be somewhat dangerous. I would like some of your opinions and tips.
I have always hunted out of my climber or ground blind. I really like these approaches to hunting deer, but think that lock-ons might add a helpful dimension?

Thanks!
Old 11-26-2007, 12:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How do YOU hang your hang-ons??

I don't have pictures but how I hang my stand depends on which model/brand I'm using. Basically I climb up the tree using whatever method of steps/ladder/stick I'm using. When I get to the height I want I use my rock climbing harness and tie off to the tree using a safety rope that I adjust to give me just enough slack to comfortably lean back and have both hands free. I usually have the stand on my back, but you can pull it up with a rope if you like. I either use a T-bar and hang the stand on that, if it is built (or modified) to use one, orattach the chain/belt, I then synch up the belt. I prefer belts over chains because; a) they are quieter, lighter b) they can be tightened/loosened easier than chains.For chains and belts I often use a second strap lower down to help stabilize the stand and eliminate squeeks. My main stand isso familiar to me I can hang it with my eyes closed (sometimes pre-dawn light is that dark). Practice hanging your stand just a few feet off the ground. Get real familiar with it and modify it with moleskin and padding to make it as quiet as possible.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

One of these days, I'll have to do an instructional thread on it... it's NOT dangerous at all, as long as you're wearing the proper safety equipment.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like the method that I've been using since getting and using my Loggy Transformer harness system. I won't describe what I did before that system though........let's just say you might think I was half ape. [8D]

I use the linemens belt hooks, and the supplied rope w/the carabiner (spelling?)and hook myself around the tree first, can't fall this way and now I can lean back against it leaving both my hands free. I tie my bow tow rope to the stand, and the other end tomy belt. I wear a fanny pack on the front of me that has all my steps in it.

While being belted in with my Loggy Transformer I screw my steps in one at a time and then step up, and do this until I get to the desired height, adjusting the height on the linemans belt every step. Once at the desired height, I then use my tow rope and pull the stand up, strap it in, attach my linemen rope above the stand, and then step onto it. Then I usually sit for a minute, relax, and then proceed to trimming, etc.........it's really quite simple and very safe this way I feel. I'd love to hear how others do it though.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:49 PM
Typical Buck

Does anyone have a link to show the Linemens belt or whatever the harness system you use to keep yourself into the tree?

Thanks, I think this thread will be able to help some folks out!
Old 11-26-2007, 12:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

That's pretty darn close to how I do it too, RJ... The only variation is that I usually just have the stand on my back and when I get to the height I want to hang the stand, I simply slip it off and hang it. Keep in mind that I'm like you... I've always got my lineman's belt around the tree and attached to the d-loops on my harness, which always gives me both hands free to work with in taking the stand off my back and hanging it.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

If I hang them early I use a climbing stand and once at the height i want, I pull up my lock on. Later I install steps or sticks to reach it.
This will keep it from getting stolen as well.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Not necessarily! [:@]The one stand I've had stolen was 23' up, and I had installed Cranford's detachable steps on that set... all that was protruding from the tree was these little square heads which I hang my steps back on when I come back to the tree... they were still there, my Kwikee quiver caddy was there, but my stand was gone! Of course, that lets me know another "hunter" stole it who had a climber with him... What I wouldn't give to have walked up on him when he was on his way down with it!
Old 11-26-2007, 01:17 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-26-2007, 01:31 PM
Typical Buck

I use a pulley attached toa screw-in step for heavy stands and I ALWAYS use good quality ratchet straps.

Quick Reply: How do YOU hang your hang-ons??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.