Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Plaque Mounts..

Old 11-26-2007, 10:59 AM

Default Plaque Mounts..

anyone got any new ideas or neat looking plaques to put your antlers on? Looking for something original and looks good, unlike the wal-mart plaques..let me see pics if you got em!!
Old 11-26-2007, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Plaque Mounts..

www.rackplaques.com

This is my buddies site and it is relatively new. He is also from VA up near Chesterfield. He uses the best wood and hand molds the forms around the antler bases. He also has some unique designs you don't see a lot of You end up with a good product for a fair price, and it is a lot easier than buying one of the cheap kits which are near $30 and trying to get it to fit your rack. Check him out, if you can't get him on e-mail call his phone, he won't mind. If you do, tell him I sent you and mention the website and alsothe fact that I really appreciate him letting me hunt the barrel stand. I shot my bigger bow buck out of a stand he had hunted the evening before.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:56 PM

New6- not to be a downer but that has got to be the worst website I've ever seen. The plaques look nice but that guy should pay some 13 year old kid to re-do the site.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:03 PM
Typical Buck

i don't have a problem with the website, because, i mean, who really cares what the site looks like, but the prices areWAY too high for such a mount. i would go to van dykes and pick your favorite, they are easy, affordable and they look nice!

www.vandykestaxidermy.com
Old 11-26-2007, 02:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah the site is really simple but it works. That Van Dyke's site is pretty cool and you can definitly get a kit cheaper but a lot of kits are just that, cheap. I really don't have an interest in doing my own so he does mine. It probably costs me about $30 more than doing it myself but I don't mind paying for convenience. The price of a do it yourself kit and a completed mount are not going to be the same, so I don't see his plaques as grossly overpriced by any means as he is selling a finished product not a kit.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:12 PM
Site Buck Guru

Being a woodworker hobbiest, I make my plaques out of walnut. I use a shield design for gun kills and an arrowhead design for bow kills. Unfortunately I don't have any pics down loaded to the computer. I'll see if I can get some. My brother also has some nice designs, he's very good at it. Right now he is specializing in making quality hunting knives.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Also, I just searched like 20 taxidermists in our state. The cheapest I found was $50 and most were$75 to $85 dollars here is a link for comparison. I'm just saying his pricesare definitelynot "way too high" they are actually on the low side especially for the quality. GregH i just saw some of those arrowhead plaques on some of the taxidermistsites, they are nice! What do you think of using cherry(I think I heard him mention that before)?

Taxidermy Net: Taxidermist Links by State
Old 11-26-2007, 03:46 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: NEW61375

Also, I just searched like 20 taxidermists in our state. The cheapest I found was $50 and most were$75 to $85 dollars here is a link for comparison. I'm just saying his pricesare definitelynot "way too high" they are actually on the low side especially for the quality. GregH i just saw some of those arrowhead plaques on some of the taxidermistsites, they are nice! What do you think of using cherry(I think I heard him mention that before)?

Taxidermy Net: Taxidermist Links by State
Cherry is my favorite wood. But my dad started making them using walnut back before I started making my own. I just wanted to keep them the same. I think you should use what will look the best for where they will be placed.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:59 PM
Typical Buck

lets see some pics Greg!!! im guessing the bucks you have antler mounted dwarf some of my shoulder mounted deer haha!

you wouldn't happen to hunt that magical buffalo county up there in WI would ya???don't worry i am not going to hoard in.....i've got great hunting here in w central illinois, not to mention cant afford it!!

Old 11-26-2007, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Vabowman

anyone got any new ideas or neat looking plaques to put your antlers on? Looking for something original and looks good, unlike the wal-mart plaques..let me see pics if you got em!!
Here are a few of the finished products:

Quick Reply: Plaque Mounts..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.