Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Were has the sport of hunting/harvesting gone >

Were has the sport of hunting/harvesting gone

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Were has the sport of hunting/harvesting gone

Old 11-26-2007, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Were has the sport of hunting/harvesting gone

Well, the nextevolution of this "sport"will be job. I wonder how much they will pay sharpshooters...
Old 11-26-2007, 09:42 AM
Fork Horn

In my area the main problem with hunting is not Bowhunters...for the most part and I'm assuming that it is the same all over, bowhunters are the most courteous and respectful of any hunter...due to the commitment and passion it takes to be successful during bow season we see the importance of strong conservation and respect for the land and people who own it.

I have a couple of stories to tell...I was met with success this year when I took my first ever deer with a bow, which happened to be my first buck, which happened to be my first P&Y buck...besides the point as I'm driving out of the field another truck pulls up and three camp clad hunters climb out the youngest was probably 5-6 yrs old (thats tradition being able to pass down this passion to your children) those hunters had been hunting across the field from where I had just shot my deer, and instead of being jealous and upset that I had taken this deer that was simply amazing...instead they congratulated me on a great kill, hoisted his son up to see and shook my hand. You just don't get that with anyone but bowhunters in my opinion, at least here in Ohio...

My second story is about the shotgun season...and in my opinion the reason hunting is under scrutiny...and suffers the loss of tradition...my beef is not with gun hunters in a whole...if someone takes the time to actually hunt the deer instead of pushing them around...I completly understand...and I wish you luck...my problem is with those who have 15 of their buddies to push a woods a woods firing off slugs in every direction in hopes of hitting something...

This story happened last year during gun season, my mother was outside doing something...who knows...when she hears a series of gun shots, not uncommon during shotgun season, but these were really close...she looks off to the right and sees a wounded deer running towards the house with 5 orange clad hunters in pursuit, firing off slugs in hopes of hitting the poor creature again...needless to say firing off weapons so close to houses is not only illegal but stupid and irresponsible, not to mention taking a shot at a deer while it is running away from you is so unethical that it makes me feel for the deer. Well my mom gets pissed and stops the hunters before they even touch our property and the deer runs off and the hunters leave...later they called and asked permission to walk on our property and claim the deer that they had wounded...after again yelling at them for their stupidty she gave them permission to claim the deer...it had been shot in the butt and laid down and died on the edge of our property...

To me this is where the main scrutiny with hunting comes from...because people who don't hunt or are against hunting don't see that for most of us...the thrill is not the kill...but the hunt itself...and thats the tradtion that needs to be passed down.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Our culture today has become more urbanized and likes instant gratification without working for it. Generation Y today pops in a Playstation game in, while in his pajamas and sits there for hours stimulating his brain with worthless junk. Let's face it, hunting takes work and the will to endure to hunt and be successful. Why would they want to get up early and get dressed? I see this all over and I am disgusted. Everything gets handed to our youth today and it is not good. It is very easy for these people to become non hunters or even antis. Be strong, be yourself, don't sugar coat for the ones with weak stomachs, be smart. Keep Hunting!
Old 11-26-2007, 10:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: daveyrock

My second story is about the shotgun season...and in my opinion the reason hunting is under scrutiny...and suffers the loss of tradition...my beef is not with gun hunters in a whole...if someone takes the time to actually hunt the deer instead of pushing them around...I completly understand...and I wish you luck...my problem is with those who have 15 of their buddies to push a woods a woods firing off slugs in every direction in hopes of hitting something...

This story happened last year during gun season, my mother was outside doing something...who knows...when she hears a series of gun shots, not uncommon during shotgun season, but these were really close...she looks off to the right and sees a wounded deer running towards the house with 5 orange clad hunters in pursuit, firing off slugs in hopes of hitting the poor creature again...needless to say firing off weapons so close to houses is not only illegal but stupid and irresponsible, not to mention taking a shot at a deer while it is running away from you is so unethical that it makes me feel for the deer. Well my mom gets pissed and stops the hunters before they even touch our property and the deer runs off and the hunters leave...later they called and asked permission to walk on our property and claim the deer that they had wounded...after again yelling at them for their stupidty she gave them permission to claim the deer...it had been shot in the butt and laid down and died on the edge of our property...

Are you sa PETA member or just an elitist?

I better shut up
Old 11-26-2007, 10:11 AM
Fork Horn

I suppose I would have to ask you what that means...no I'm not a member of PETA but do beleive in not being stupid when your hunting....taking ethical shots at animals isn't being an elitest its good practice....

The point of this thread was about where hunting sport has gone...i was giving an example of such...

*on a side note....I had to look up what PETA actually stood for....hooray for google!!
Old 11-26-2007, 10:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

I condemn what those guys were doing, if in fact that's what was happening, but you seemed to have lumped all gun hunters into that category ........ I LOVE hunting deer with guns ....A:MOST as much as a bow .... not quite tho ...
Old 11-26-2007, 10:23 AM

And there is also nothing wrong with deer drives if done safely. It is afterall a well known and common tradition.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's a combination of factors; all mentioned here:
Urbanization (or suburbanization) of our culture
PC standards (elavating animals to equal status, or higher, of humans. Watch animal planet sometime)
SLOPPY "HUNTERS"
Lack of positive press coverage
Lazy/wrong thinking (if we just leave nature alone everything will be in harmony and balanced)
People making decisions on little or bad information
Selfish attitudes invading deer hunting (rack envy, greed, theft, scofflaws)

Our culture at large is going through the same thing. A free society that doesn't self regulate will slide into chaos and then tyranny.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:25 AM
Fork Horn

OH....no I didn't mean to do that...I'm not saying gunhunting is bad...I'm just against pushing a woods(I've only come across woods pushing that has been done unsafely)...it doesn't seem like hunting to me...(these are my own personal views that I choose to follow...I don't want to condemn anyone else because it is not my place to judge....
Old 11-26-2007, 10:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I came from a family where noone hunted. My ancestors hunted alot. For some reason noone continued the tradition for almost 30 years until I started hunting on my own 15 years ago. My mom and dad encouraged me to hunt because they knew I began hunting because I LOVED it. I was not out for record book bucks, I was just out to hunt/eat the meat. When I shot my first deer, I was hooked. I worked hard for years to be able to shoot even one deer. If all the power shut off in our country, and we had nothing but our own bare hands/minds to help us survive, then the hunters amongst us again would be raised to a high status. We are becoming obsolete. I am not a law breaking man, but if they outlawed my right to hunt, I would sneak into the woods with my bow and still hunt. I WOULD not care. That is one law I would break. Men need to be men. We are nothing more than intelligent animals and our hunting nature stirs inside of us, telling us that is is ok to hunt and kill animals. We are good people, not blood thirsty animals.

At my job I am around teenagers and adults from all over the world. Most all of the kids from foreign countries, even gang members from third world countries ask me about hunting. They know I do it. They tell me that they used to eat what their dads and uncles killed from the environment. They do not judge me and they actually have alot of respect for me because of the environments they grew up in...they lived hard and any meat that they received from an animal was a blessing to their health. Our society has weakened to the point that grown men have to explain/justify their reasonings/needs for hunting. To me it is unbelievable. At work amongst the US born adults, I usually don't even talk about hunting because they get upset and think I am a blood thirsty killer, even though my actions of kindness on a daily basis are above what I believe most people exhibit. It is like all of the logical thought processes of modern day humans go out the windown when talking about hunting. It is disheartening to say the least.

shadow

Quick Reply: Were has the sport of hunting/harvesting gone

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.