Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Landowner thank you gifts >

Landowner thank you gifts

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Landowner thank you gifts

Old 11-26-2007, 06:01 PM
Spike

Default RE: Landowner thank you gifts

I help work all of his calves before they go out to grass in the spring. I also gave him a handmade knife when I went and told him about the hunt. We have been family friends and he has known me since I was born and he would let me hunt anyway but I still like to show how much I appreciate it.

Ty
Old 11-26-2007, 06:26 PM

Some great ideas...............nice to see. I'm sure your land owners appreciate it.

Some of you guys have some pretty nice stuff rolling out.........they are probably waiting for you at the door

Old 11-26-2007, 06:58 PM
Fork Horn

if i had a place to hunt i would give a gift
Old 11-26-2007, 07:06 PM
Fork Horn

Depends on the landowner. I give them a read, and bring what I think will put the biggest smile on their face.

Back in the mid 80's we bear hunted out of Dryden in Ontario, Canada every year. The old farmer that outfitted and let us hunt on his place loved blackberry brandy with all of our leftover Canadian currency rubber banded around the bottle neck when we left. Maybe hewas just glad to see us go...?

Some ask for a few steaksand such from any critters I might shoot, and I'm happy to oblige. Of course I usually keep some jerky/salami on hand to get that ball rolling anyway.

My wife makespies for apair of brothers whos' place we huntnear Thanksgiving time some years.

Sometimeshelping out around the place is the mostobvious way to score a solid friendship hit. Some farmers/ranchers mightbe a little short handed with kids just going off to college or war.

If you look for what people need, you'll find it.

Old 11-26-2007, 07:29 PM
Dominant Buck

I try to find out what they like and take it to them. Examples, I had this one guy that loved Scotch and exotic beer. I took him a big bottle of Pinch and a mixed case of expensive beer. I used to hunt a monestary in Maryland. There were about 8 priest living there. I knew they of course used a lot of wines in mass and saw they had some bottles in their dining room. I took them a case of different very nice wines. Sure it cost a few bucks, but they did appreciate it. I also mowed their lawn for free for 3 years. It took me 5 hours with a bush hog behind a John Deere every week.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:35 PM
Typical Buck

This kind of thing is one of the things I love about this place. People doing what’s right.

My hunting buddy who taught me bow hunting goes out west to hunt each fall. A couple of years ago he and another buddy from VA were out in CO, going to camp in a tent and hunt public land, when they ran into a guy in a store. Ends up he owns a ranch. They hit it off and he invited them to not only hunt his land, but stay in a trailer he had the two weeks they were out there and occasionally use his shower in his house. Total strangers.

After they hunted, they helped out around the ranch for a day or so and kind of stayed in touch. The next year (last year), when they went out there, the rancher was dying from Lou Gehrig’s disease. It was just awful and his wife was having a real hard time with it. He was worried about what was going to happen with their horses, which he truly loved. The wife was getting older and didn’t really ride any more and would have had a hard time taking care of them. And they didn’t know anyone out there who would have them, as they weren’t really working horses. My buddy and his wife already own 3 horses and didn’t want any more. But just before the rancher died this last spring, my buddy and his wife drove out west to Colorado from Virginia to pay their last respects and picked up his three horses in their horse trailer and drove them back to VA, where they found good homes for them. He didn’t hunt CO this year (went to Idaho and got a heck of a set of elk antlers on public land, instead) and knew he wouldn’t, but he felt like it was the right thing to do. He’s a great mentor and I’m lucky to have him as my friend.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I really wish that I was in a position to purchase gifts to those that would let me hunt on there land. Hopefully that will change. However, it is wonderful to hear that so many of you are putting a little thought into gifts for those that take care of you! Hopefully others will read this thread and follow the lead. You are all definetly giving a positive view of hunters. Well done!
Old 11-27-2007, 04:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well we started in Aug. when we went down to video some velvet footage and we brought the farmer down 20 pounds of blueberries. Then we brought 10 pounds over to his nieghbor because she kinda keeps an eye on the place when the farmer is gone and we wanted to introduce oueselfs to her. She went crazy over the berries, so when we went back down to hunt Oct-1 we brought the nieghbor 6 blueberry tree's and they ended up giving us there 40 acres to hunt that was awesome also. Then at the end of the season our main farmer we gave him $ 150 to there favorite resturant and a laminated map ariel map of his property he like of mine!!! Did I forget to tell you my hunting budding is a blueberry farmer and the farmers and there wifes love blueberries in Illinois!!! Walt
Old 11-27-2007, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

My landowner is a friend of 20yrs from highschool, he doesn't hunt but he likes venison. Last year I brought up a giant gift basket, and every visit includes a few hours collecting/chopping wood. I have to come in to help between the morning and evening hunts, the only time I can avoid that is prime rut when I explain to him that all hours of the day can be productive.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't bow hunt onanyone's land but my own but I do pheasant hunt on a few of the farmers CRP fields and slough's. I usually give them a couple of pheasants each year, they really like that!!

Quick Reply: Landowner thank you gifts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.