Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Landowner thank you gifts >

Landowner thank you gifts

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Landowner thank you gifts

Old 11-26-2007, 10:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Landowner thank you gifts

A smoked ham or jellies. Depends on the owner.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I give my land owner a case of red wine each year. Runs us about $500 between five guys which isn't that bad for hunting1800 acres for free
Old 11-26-2007, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Any gift is appreciated, but it helps if you know what the landowner likes. Around here, wines or ciders are good gifts, but not everyone drinks.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:03 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: atlasman
What do you guys give and when??
I will be making my rounds at the end of this week. I bring about 100 lbs of frozen venison of all kinds in the bed of my truck (sausage, jerky, steaks, chops, burger) and offer it to all of them (few actually take any) and I get custom made gift baskets made for each landowner with food (fruit, preserves, baked goods, candy, some smoked meats....etc) and some fresh ground gourmet coffees, and some little gifts like mugs and soaps for the lady of the house.
I always deliver by hand and never leave at the door if no one answers. A hand written card is always included expressing my thanks for their generosity.
The farmers I deal with seem to appreciate this a great deal around here.

I always thought the holidays was a good time to get this done.
I thought i was the only one who did this...I gave one farmer a gift basket that included Summer sausage, Omaha Steaks, Jerkey etc... and he started crying. Damn, I just wanted to thank you for allowing me to hunt on your property this year. He stated to me that he had a bad year farming due to lack of rain, his wife had been sick for the past 7 months and his daughterhad been in a bad accident. But the thought of me just thinking of him during the holidays was gift enough. I gave him a hug and told him that if he needed anything...even just someone to talk too, I would be there for him.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Box of cut meat..variety pack.. Jerky packages....too
Old 11-26-2007, 12:31 PM

ORIGINAL: shawnfogelman

ORIGINAL: atlasman
What do you guys give and when??
I will be making my rounds at the end of this week. I bring about 100 lbs of frozen venison of all kinds in the bed of my truck (sausage, jerky, steaks, chops, burger) and offer it to all of them (few actually take any) and I get custom made gift baskets made for each landowner with food (fruit, preserves, baked goods, candy, some smoked meats....etc) and some fresh ground gourmet coffees, and some little gifts like mugs and soaps for the lady of the house.
I always deliver by hand and never leave at the door if no one answers. A hand written card is always included expressing my thanks for their generosity.
The farmers I deal with seem to appreciate this a great deal around here.

I always thought the holidays was a good time to get this done.
I thought i was the only one who did this...I gave one farmer a gift basket that included Summer sausage, Omaha Steaks, Jerkey etc... and he started crying. Damn, I just wanted to thank you for allowing me to hunt on your property this year. He stated to me that he had a bad year farming due to lack of rain, his wife had been sick for the past 7 months and his daughterhad been in a bad accident. But the thought of me just thinking of him during the holidays was gift enough. I gave him a hug and told him that if he needed anything...even just someone to talk too, I would be there for him.
Wow thats pretty cool story! Sometimes the little things you do can make a world of difference to somebody. Keep up the good work!

One time my Dad and myself went to Wyoming to hunt antelope. So we looked up some ranchers on the inet and found some listed. We called up a guy and talked to him for awhile and made araingments. We are in Louisiana so we made a little "cajun" basket of stuff like coffee and louisiana hot sauce, tabasco sauce, spices, tony'sshakes, bbq rubs, etc etc. Him and his wife were very appreciative of it and offered some helpfull advice. Then later on when we were in the town restraunt we had a local ask us who we were and what we were hunting and what ranch. (it was a one horse pitstop with a 5 room hotel and restraunt/bar all in one we stayed at) When we told him whos ranch we were hunting he looked at us like we were stupid. Said he has been asking that guy for 15 years to hunt that ranch and has never heard of anybody getting to go hunt there. Told us they has some really good trophies there. Which they did, we had a great time and I am now a believe in giving gifts to those who are kind enough to let you hunt.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

The best gift you can give............

Old 11-26-2007, 03:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I send Harry and David baskets to 2 farms I don't even have permission on.... YET.

I'm buttering them up.. just trying to break the ice between us. Most people I've asked permission with are not against hunting they just don't want just anybody on their lands.. you have to develop a relationship from thin air.

It's alot like dating really..
Old 11-26-2007, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

NY Bowhunter is right about helping out around the place.

Most landowners want you looking out for their interests (watching out for tresspassers) and to fix
up the place (mending fences, filling ruts, cutting slips for water to drain, planting plots, developing
it for better wildlife). Although a basket is nice and all, that will get you in good right there.

Nothing worse than somebody who always has an excuse and never does any work who expects to
show up at the peak of the season to hunt! [:@]
Old 11-26-2007, 05:13 PM

I give a few days of help splitting wood, fixing stuff... in addition to the help I try to provide during the season. Also this year I bought a box of cigars, took a picture ofhis farm house during fall colors when I was there by myselfthen gave that picture to a friend of mine who's real good with Photoshop. I asked him to take that picture and put "Smith's Big Buck Country" & "Buffalo County" around it and size it just right to make custom cigar rings. The landowner was very suprised to see his name and farm pictured on the cigar bands when he opened the box!

Quick Reply: Landowner thank you gifts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.