Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Help, Iowa Tag Question >

Help, Iowa Tag Question

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Help, Iowa Tag Question

Old 11-23-2007, 06:14 PM

Default Help, Iowa Tag Question

I need to know if I can have my brother, who has an Iowa hunting license fill my bow tag for me. The reason I ask is that this past Tuesday I completely tore my right pectoralis major muscle off while lifting and will be having surgery to re-attach this coming Tuesday. Needless to say it is now impossible for me to bow hunt for the rest of the year. I want to go with him and see if he can fill my tag for me, is this legal? Thanks!
Old 11-23-2007, 06:47 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Help, Iowa Tag Question

You can party hunt only during gun season and in doing such any member of the group can continue to kill deer as long as the group has enough collective tags for all deer. I'mcertain that you cannot do the same for archery season. Otherwise hunters would be having family members and friends buy tags for them to fill, thus getting the chance to shoot multiple bucks by bow. Sorry to hear of your injury. If your brother has already filled his tag and wants to get some more shooting in, their are usually plenty of doe-only tags avaliable up until gun season.

One other option is you should be able to get a temporary handicap permit form your doctor. If you check with you local DNR officer, you may be able to use a crossbow for the remainder of the season.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:57 PM

I read on the dnr site that you can help fill other hunters tags but it never said during what season or what it is limited to. That is why I was wondering if we could have him try to fill it. I would like to try a crossbow but can't see buying one for one tag.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:24 PM

All the dnr website satates about helping other hunters is, "Helping Other Hunters Resident and nonresident deer hunters with a valid deer hunting license may hunt with and assist other deer hunters only in the season specified on their license."
Old 11-23-2007, 08:38 PM
Fork Horn

YOU CANNOT FILL ANOTHER BOW HUNTERS TAG. It's only legal to fill gun tags, you can't do it. It's only $27 dollars, if you want the deer meat, buy a gun tag and go then.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:46 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-24-2007, 05:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

If I am not mistaken as long as you are there with him and have yer bow with you he can legally shoot yer deer for you. Just like you posted earlier as long asit is for the season designated on yer license. I would check with yer local DNR officer though just to make sure you don't get yerself in trouble. I am pretty sure that in Iowa you are allowed to take a deer for another hunter as long as you are hunting with this person.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:41 AM

Nope
Party hunting is only allowed in shotgun season