Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Have you ever lost the drive?? >

Have you ever lost the drive??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Have you ever lost the drive??

Old 11-21-2007, 07:12 AM

Default Have you ever lost the drive??

Ive hunted for over 20 years now, and have taken several wallhangers and some that would be for others, countless small bucks and does. I have, however, lost the drive to hunt before. About 10 years ago I went through a period of just not caring to go or to even shoot a deer. Thankfully, I have gotten my passion back and it is stonger now than ever before. I have made a lifetime of memories from this passion, and will never lose it again. I don't know why I felt that way for those 2 short years, but it is gone and I am refreshed and it is all because of the love I have for bowhunting specifically. What do you guys say, any stories like this??
Old 11-21-2007, 07:24 AM

Default RE: Have you ever lost the drive??

I go through periods like that each season. I'm in one right now actually. I just don't care to get up early and sit in the cold. I think we can all relate to that.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:25 AM
Dominant Buck

I have come DANGEROUSLY close to "burn-out", this year. There was a time when I wanted to go hunting.....but didn't care to kill a deer (specifically a doe). I just went at the herd reduction thing too hard (IMO). Next year....I'm gonna employ a little help......OR...just tell myself that if I don't reach the goal.....it's no big deal. I'm also gonna mix it up a bit and target some specific does......just to keep it interesting.

Translation: Next year I'm gonna have MORE FUN.

I didn't like the way this season made me feel, at times. It was like "work". That's not why I hunt.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:30 AM

I understand GMMAT, where I hunt, it is the people that make it difficult sometimes. People trying to barge in on my stands and jealousy is rampid here. I have been very fortunate in my hunting career, and people have gotten very angry from this. Ive even lost some friends over big bucks that I have taken, simply because they were jealous. They don't understand why I kill big deer and they don't. I tell them, I put my time in, I make deer hunting a priority, and I just simply understand nature.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:33 AM
Dominant Buck

I'm rejuvenated now......after hunting sparsely for the past few weeks.

I'm ready to go back at it hard, this weekend. I've got my wife's family in from FL on saturday.....so that might be my first all-day sit, this season.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I have come DANGEROUSLY close to "burn-out", this year. There was a time when I wanted to go hunting.....but didn't care to kill a deer (specifically a doe). I just went at the herd reduction thing too hard (IMO). Next year....I'm gonna employ a little help......OR...just tell myself that if I don't reach the goal.....it's no big deal. I'm also gonna mix it up a bit and target some specific does......just to keep it interesting.

Translation: Next year I'm gonna have MORE FUN.

I didn't like the way this season made me feel, at times. It was like "work". That's not why I hunt.
Jeff, I seen this coming for you bro. When you posted about your seasons plans before it started I believe you actually thought it was gonna be fun not worrying about anything besides blasting does. I think you learned this year that hunting is not just about shooting a bunch of animals. Set your goal next year to killing deer that you want to kill and deer that will make you happy. I know you killed a few deer this year that didn't make you feel so good. Hunting should be relaxing - not a job. Next year go out and sit in a tree and enjoy yourself... when something walks by that will make you happy, shoot it.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Honest?? I've never lost the drive to hunt or be in the woods. I did go through a period where I always found a reason not to release an arrow. It something I still occasionally struggle with. I want every shot to be perfect. If there's a branch, if there's a less than optimum angle, if the deer is alert, if 9 out of 10 things are right..I can easily not shoot, because of that 1 remaining variable.

I'm a good shot..I practice ALOT.. I have good control of my nerves. I just error way to many times on the side of caution.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:39 AM

Yeh, family coming in, all day hunt sounds about right!!!! good luck!!!!!
Old 11-21-2007, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Have to say that I have never lost the drive to be in the woods or on the water. I don't know why. It might have something to do with age (I'm 21). I have spent countless days bow hunting and duck hunting. It might be that I like to mix things up; such as do a little bow hunting here, duck hunting there, fishing from time to time, love to spring turkey hunt, dove, quail, and the list goes on. During bow season (1 month long) I start to get a LITTLE tired of getting up in the morning to sit in the same stand butducks season starts at the right time and gives me somewhat of a break.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:12 AM
Fork Horn

At least once a year I get down and don't care but it don't take me long to get out of the funk!!!!

Quick Reply: Have you ever lost the drive??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.