Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Season Goals

Old 11-20-2007, 07:04 PM

Default Season Goals

This may be a question answered earlier, but what are your season goals when hunting? I'll set goals every year in the pre-season scouting time. For example mine have been:
8 points or more, (done) then it was a 2.5 year old (done) then it was a 3.5 year old or greater (done) and a Pope and Young (done). Now I think my new goals areto shoot a Pope and Young class buck with traditional equipment and/or a Boone and Crockett with a bow. It may take me awhile to achieve these, but soemthign to push towards.

There is theever constant goal, learn something new everytime you're out in the woods but outside of that what are others out there.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Season Goals

Every year it's to take my best buck. I've fallen short and taken bucks that meant the most to me for the hunt or the scenerio.

I always want to take at least a 3.5 year old. This year I did that tho it wasn't my "best" buck. I was/am happy with it.

This year, with one buck tag and one doe tag it was my objective to take a doe with/for Rick James as requested, we fullfilled that objective then on to fill the buck tag. A 3.5 year old or my best buck which would go hand in hand for age...I tagged a broken racked 3.5 year old that went to the taxi. Good season.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:12 PM

I'm fairly new to this game, so my goals change year to year. The first was just to shoot a deer w/ a bow...Then the next year multiple deer w/ a bow.....I set a goal last year of taking a buck w/ my bow, and I did get an arrow in one but was unable to recover him.

So I came into this year w/ that same goal. All I can say is mission accomplished, and in a MUCH better way than I even hoped for. Specifically, my goal this year wasjust a "nice" 8 point......Blew that right out the water and shot a BIG 8 point, and he was mature.

Next year, pretty much the same except that I will actually set out for a mature buck, not just "a" buck.....He doesn't have to be bigger than this year, just mature.

Old 11-20-2007, 07:16 PM
Dominant Buck

I had a mgmt. goal of removing 8 does from the herd I hunt. To date....I've taken 6 and a friend from the forum (Brknarrow) took a dandy doe, here. So....jury's still out on that front.

I took a small buck, earlier in the year, and a 4.5 yr old that I've been after for 3 yrs. On this front.....I couldn't be happier.

Another goal was to not loose an arrow I wasn't proud of. To date....I'm good on that front, too.

I've donated five deer to a needy family......learned some VALUABLE life hunting lessons.....and I still have a few weeks to hunt. All that....and the jury's still out on whether this one beats last year. Last year was an amazing experience for me.

Good luck to all.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

I started my season with a goal of a 140 or better buck. I have stuck with it so far and it is really tough. I have had shot opportunities on 18 different bucks. The biggest being a 10 point that I have second guessed myself a million times. It has been the best season I have ever had hands down. If I come up with tag soup than so be it. I have learned more this seasonthan any other year. My farmers happy,I got him plenty of doe meat and I still have time to get the job done.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:10 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: GMMAT
I had a mgmt. goal of removing 8 does from the herd I hunt.
Sounds kinda like my goal for the area we are trying to manage. I always have a goal to take a "better" buck than the last, but haven't been offered that opportunity yet.

GMMAT... question about your managing of your doe herd. Are you taking just any doe that walks by or are you looking for the long-nosed old girls? I passed on a young doe today even though she offered me about 15 different shots. I've already taken a smaller doe this year and was thinking I'll try and focus on some big girls for the remainder of the year.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:49 PM
Dominant Buck

The wildlife biologist here told me not to be choosy. Iwasn't. The one Frank took, Saturday, was a big, mature gal. Once I get to 8......I will not shoot an immature doe. Kinda like trophy doe hunting!

I won't take more than 10 orso out.....but I think I could takemore and it wouldn't matter (no fear of taking too many).
Old 11-21-2007, 04:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

I set goals each year. Most years I reach or nearly reach them. This year so far I am falling quite short.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:23 AM

GMMAT, what type of monitoring system are you using for your herd? I'm not familiar with the area you are managing, but there can be a point where too many doe are taken off of the property. Maybe not in your situation, but something I (up here in the NorthEast) try to do is make sure I get an accurate count before the season and make an assessment.It's changed from the first yearI managed the ground (started with 12) to5 years later(4).
Old 11-21-2007, 05:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

I reached one goal of killing a bigger buck than ever before however it did not reach the 100" goal I had hoped for. I have some goals left. 1st trad kill is one and 1st mule deer is another. I hope to reach both of those this weekend.

Quick Reply: Season Goals

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.