Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Regret

Old 11-19-2007, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Regret

How many have ever regretted not having a deer mounted? I find myself since it is hunting season, looking at the mounts in the house more often - mainly to remind myself there are qaulity bucks out there. And for the last couple days - wished I would have gotten a certain doe mounted, just talked to my wife and she sent pics of the doe I took at Jeff's to her cousin and sister and both asked if it was getting mounted - just got me to thinking about deer and mounts - and i think there are two - the "spotted doe" and a 6 point with a tall narrow rack in full velvet I took a few years ago- anyone else having any regrets
Old 11-19-2007, 03:45 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Regret

Not to make you feel bad....but to show what you're talking about. Here's the beautiful markings on Frank's doe he killed here, Saturday.

Old 11-19-2007, 03:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, a rifle kill that my father and I took back in 2002. Before that fall, I hadn't spoken to my father for years. We decided to get together that fall for the first time and put all our "issues" aside to do some deer hunting. The afternoon of our first day hunting we were walking together out into the woods talking at a normal voice level when this buck sprang up out of it's bed at 50 yards. We both shot at him and to this day neither of us know who hit it. My father hadn't killed a deer for probably 15 years at that point and I normally got one every year....so he tagged it. He's not much, just a 90" Pennsylvania 8 pointer but he symbolizes so much more than just another buck. I'll get him mounted one of these days.......I'm sure I will kill deer much bigger than this one but probably never another that is so meaningful.

Old 11-19-2007, 03:59 PM

I wish I would have work done to a 130 inch 9 point from Oklahoma. At the time I was not making very much money and my son had just been born. Shot him in a hail storm, and hellacious wind off the ground.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can't say I do regret not mounting one. My best friend does european mounts for 85$, he does a great job and always go to him for the deer I do not need shoulder mounted. And if I manage to kill a buck in November he does it for free (birthday is the 17th). But, what are best friends for. Nice doe btw.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yes There are a few I sure wish I'd have had mounted.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:09 PM
Site Bouncer

I killed a few back when I was in college that I wish I had mounted. Hell I don't even have the antlers anymore, I left them out in Utah when I went into the NFL. Oh well, I was young and stupid back then, I can't even find the photos....shame.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yes, I have a nice 8 point that I put on a plaque, that I have always wished that I would have had mounted. I will someday get him mounted.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:13 AM

I still wish I had gotten my first deer I killed mounted. He was about a 100" 8 point, but I was only 14, and didn't have the money for a shoulder mount. Still have him on a plaque, so as soon as I get a good cape, I think I will have it done. I know it's not the same as the actual deer, but the best I can do now.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:22 AM

No, but I only have a couple mounts with one more currently at the taxi..

If in doubt...I cape the deer and throw it in the freezer. After a day or so, I ask myself if I willregret not having this deer mounted. If there is any element of doubt in my mind, it's off to the taxi.

Quick Reply: Regret

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.