Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Knife Sharpner

Old 11-20-2007, 08:05 PM
Site Bouncer

Default RE: Kinfe Sharpner

ORIGINAL: bawanajim

Just buy a cheap knife and a good stone, then learn to sharpen your own. It takes time,but isn't that what camp firers & beer are for?
I agree....except for the "cheap knife" part.[8D]

Buy a good stone and learn how to sharpen a knife properly. With a good stone and a good strop, you can get them sharp enough to shave your face.................just don't drink too much beerbefore attempting to shave said face.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:45 PM
Dominant Buck

BigJ I bought a stone....and I'm trying....but I feel like I'm dulling my knife more than I'm sharpening it. I'm serious. I try to maintain the angle......use the proper stroke....and I'm getting nowhere.

Frustrating.[:-]
Old 11-20-2007, 09:38 PM
Typical Buck

This is what I use. It’s cheep and does a good job. I use light oil instead of water. It cuts better that way and the stone does not clog up. I only use the fine side. It takes a while to get the angle down but once you do, look out. Scary sharp knifes. And it’ only about $20.

ICS8 Combination Fine/Coarse India Stone
[/align]Product Information

ICS8 Coarse/Fine India Combination Stone with Decorative Box - 8 x 2 x 3/4,
For more information on this product,visit the Norton Stones Website. (This link opens a new window.)

Price: $19.95

Old 11-21-2007, 01:49 AM

If you're considering a sharpening system, take a look at the Spyderco Sharpmaker. It is simple to use, does a great job, and packs up small to take to camp with you. You hold your knif vertically and draw the blade down the stones, from hilt t to tip,first on one side, then using the other sid to do the other side.You start with theedges of the dark stones, then the flats, then the corners and flats of the white stones. Absolute beginners will have scary sharp knives the very first time out.

-- FLIX
Old 11-21-2007, 05:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

BigJ I bought a stone....and I'm trying....but I feel like I'm dulling my knife more than I'm sharpening it. I'm serious. I try to maintain the angle......use the proper stroke....and I'm getting nowhere.

Frustrating.[:-]
Jeff it takes time.The proper stroke on both sides is the key. It should feel like you are trying to cut a very small slice off of your stone with each stroke.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:00 AM
Dominant Buck

That's what I'm doing, Bawana. I was told by "someone" to go 10 strokes on one side.......switch......10 on the other. 9 on one side....9 on the other....and so on. I've done that twice, now....with my good knife....and it don't fell any sharper. I've tried water on the stone to start out....and by the time I finish a "cycle" it's almost dry.

What am I doing wrong?[&:]
Old 11-21-2007, 06:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Diamond Steels for me.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lansky! I could shave with my "knofe" when I'm done.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

That's what I'm doing, Bawana. I was told by "someone" to go 10 strokes on one side.......switch......10 on the other. 9 on one side....9 on the other....and so on. I've done that twice, now....with my good knife....and it don't fell any sharper. I've tried water on the stone to start out....and by the time I finish a "cycle" it's almost dry.

What am I doing wrong?[&:]
First off water has no lubracating value. it is used on grinding wheels to cool as to not take the temper out of the steel.
It is doing you nothing.
Depending on your stone you may need nothing at all, but if your stone starts loading up oil will help, WD -40 ill clean most stones.
Unless your knife is in really sad shape stick with one or two strokes per side.If you are having trouble with the right angle try using a magic marker on the edge to see your contact point.
Then Justkeep practicing.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:44 AM

Apex edge pro. Uses water stones. I bought mine at Bronx knifeworks online. All of our knives are shaving sharp. By far the best I have ever seen.

Quick Reply: Knife Sharpner

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.