Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What have you learned this bow season? >

What have you learned this bow season?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What have you learned this bow season?

Old 11-19-2007, 01:03 AM

Default RE: What have you learned this bow season?

I retired a few years ago and with all this time on my hands I decided to go hi-tech this year. I bought a trail cam, gps to mark all the deer while I was scouting and started scouting on June 2nd. I was in the woods every three days to check the cam and more often cruzing the back roads. This year I took photos of more than 30 different bucks within 1/2 mile of my stands, some of them dandys. I spent more money on gear and gas than probably the last 10 years put together. To sum it all up: The worst year I have had since 1961 harvesting animals. Everything went wrong. The creek dried up, no rain, the list is too long to mention. What I have learned is that even though it was the worst year ever harvesting, it was my best year ever hunting. Can't wait until next year.

Pops
Old 11-19-2007, 03:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

Having standards takes ALOT of patience.
I'll second that and add persistence and determination. I've also learned bowhunting is mentally tough as well.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:11 AM
Typical Buck

I have learned and practiced QDM after obtaining permission to hunta large QDM area. It works. I have had my funnest season in 23 years. I have seen bucks almost every time out. I look forward to getting up in the morning, knowing I am going to see something.

For years I hunted places where you were lucky to see one deer coming down your trail.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

To check yer yardages be4 you sit in a treestand or just by a rangefinder. [:-]Just ask that 170" buck that I missed Saturday morning, he is quite happy that I have been a cheapskate and not bought a rangefinder yet. Didn't even touch skin but I did give him a great haircut. Maybe I should go to work at Great Clips.LOL
Old 11-19-2007, 05:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

I learned that greed is an ugly thing.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Rattling is more effective then I thought. It got me a P@Y buck!
Old 11-19-2007, 07:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I learned the value of morning hunting and how to get into position for a nice shot when it counted. I haven't seen as many deer this year as in times passed, but 80 percent of the deer I have seen have come within bow range....bottom line is that I think I learned the value of scrutinizing the trees I potentially set up in....and other than that, I learned more this year that I love bowhunting and that I will never go back to my guns that I gave up using 3 years ago. Bowhunting is now a part of me and not just something I do, it is something I am.

shadow
Old 11-19-2007, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I learned if you seeANY deer don't tell your "buds" where. It is much better to lie to them then find them 200 yards away from you.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:47 PM

ORIGINAL: Planter

I learned if you seeANY deer don't tell your "buds" where. It is much better to lie to them then find them 200 yards away from you.

They don't sound like buds to me. Real buds respect each other.

Oldpops
Old 11-19-2007, 09:57 PM
Typical Buck

Patience and Persistence. They are so very important when trophy hunting AND when hunting withyour fiance!

Quick Reply: What have you learned this bow season?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.