Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Don't forget to keep practicing and checking equipment!!! >

Don't forget to keep practicing and checking equipment!!!

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Don't forget to keep practicing and checking equipment!!!

Old 11-18-2007, 01:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Don't forget to keep practicing and checking equipment!!!

Hey guys!

As some of us start to really get full-bore into the meat of our seasons, I wanted to take the time to give an annual reminder to us not to neglect our practice sessions, nor to forget to check and go over thoroughly our equipment.

Most of us are fantastic about shooting in the months leading up to the season, but I know how easy a trap it is to fall into to just grab the gear again on your way out to our trucks -- or even better, to just leave it in if you've got an SUV dedicated to bowhunting like I do.

Sights and rests can easily get bumped through all the commotion of throwing gear into a truck and pulling it out with every trip... and even more so, it's easy to lose the "edge" which you had going into the season when you were confident you could hit a quarter at 30 yards. Even worse is to fool yourself into thinking that you still have that edge, when your point of impact could now be a few inches from your aiming spot.

Bowhunting is such a mental game that I keep a lot of confidence in myself just by grabbing the bow out a few times a week and making sure that everything is still spot-on.

Don't forget to check your equipment out, either... climbing stands need to be checked out regularly, safety harnesses inspected, and rubber boots looked over for new cracks or punctures.

Here's wishing everyone keeps having a safe season, and that your confidence in your abilities remains high until the end of the season!
Old 11-18-2007, 01:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Don't forget to keep practicing and checking equipment!!!

Good Advice Greg!! If I have to work part of the day I usually throw a target in the back of my Truck. It allows me to shoot a few arrows during break or lunch and helps keep me sharp.

Dan
Old 11-18-2007, 02:40 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks Greg, your always on the ball, thankfully i just checked all my stuff out yesterday, but great reminder.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:41 PM
Spike

Good advice for everyone to abide by!!!!! We owe it to these magnificent animals to place our shots as humanely as possible.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:48 PM
Dominant Buck

Good reminder, Greg. We shot a round of 3D yesterday....as well as re-checked BH's.

Great advice.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wish i could shoot my bow right now! Its at the shop gettin some work done on the string....

Good advice though!!!

Yours always is Greg!
Old 11-18-2007, 03:36 PM

My season is over.............my slugs and muzzleloader are grouping very nicely though
Old 11-18-2007, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator

Good post. I'm lucky in that I am off this week, plenty of time to practice and check everything plus see whats still around after this weekend's firearm season.
Old 11-18-2007, 03:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the reminder Greg--I hussled out and shot 15 shots before sundown...I shot Friday a bunch but your post made me nervous!

shadow
Old 11-18-2007, 03:56 PM

It really is amazing how much accuracy and consistency is lost over just a month w/ no practice....

Just think of how aweful it would be to have that buck broadside at 20 yards and miss because the rest has wiggled loose without being noticed.....

Great reminder, Greg.....YA'LL....DON'T GET LAZY! It's just as important now, if not more so.

Quick Reply: Don't forget to keep practicing and checking equipment!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.