Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 4 dead deer none recovered >

4 dead deer none recovered

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

4 dead deer none recovered

Old 11-18-2007, 07:42 PM

Default RE: 4 dead deer none recovered

ORIGINAL: PABuck_HNTR

HH... I agree with you and I share your frustration.... even anger. If you can't be disciplined enough to make a clean shot. HANG UP YOUR BOW...until you get enough practice. I skipped my first year of bow hunting because I didn't feel I was consistent enough.
Exactly.

Hoytail,
Your b-i-l sounds like only half a bowhunter. I would think for the sheer hope of recovering a good animal he would have more sense when it comes to his equipment. If his attitude is what you sat it is......run over his bow by ACCIDENT, He shouldn't be in the woods.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: eman1200

"Eeeeks! This was supposed to be in attempt to raise awareness that we should be educating new bowhunters and probably even "old" bowhunters on proper shot placement......."
valid topic of discussion for any level of hunter. so to your comment...
What if the animal is turned and facing downhill on a grade...............and severely quartered away
I say......don't shoot. there's your shot placement.
That's what I'm talking about! I want there to be a "shot placement 101" that new or inexperienced bowhunters can refer to. Some of this stuff that may seem like no-brainers to you guys might seem like good ideas to a newbie.

I'm a fairly inexperienced bowhunter as previously disclosed and though I've taken a nubby, a 7, and a 10 with my bow, I consider myself to know very little. This year I lost a doe on a 20ft up and 9yd out moderately quartering away shot. I felt horrible because in my inexperienced mind I was putting the arrowwhere it needed to be (behind the shoulder so that it would exit low in the brisket). After further discussion with board members, it turns out that I should've aimed a whole foot further back. This lost deer was due to me thinking I knew what I was doing when in fact I didn't know jack about that particular shot situation.

I just want a resource, a reference, a rough guideline or whatever you wanna call it for new or inexperienced hunters like myself so we'll have less of those "uh oh" posts.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:42 PM
Typical Buck

Got a little carried away, sorry.
ORIGINAL: Hoytail Hunter

Eeeeks! This was supposed to be in attempt to raise awareness that we should be educating new bowhunters and probably even "old" bowhunters on proper shot placement, not a discussion about how long single lunged deer can live! I guess it just goes to prove that more education is needed because so far we've already got someone saying that a single lung is a bullseye. I've probably killed and recovered 2 dozen of my own deerto dateand none of them have had only a single lung hit.

And yes, if you are a "christian" then christianity has everything to do with bowhunting. I don't everremember the good book saying that it was ok to carelessly fling sharp projectiles at living creatures then let them die a horrible death after you've left the woods and told yourself "ahh he'll live, ok I feel better now."
Old 11-18-2007, 08:49 PM
Typical Buck

And shame on anybody that goes into the woods with the intent to kill any animal and is not as educated as he or she could possibly be on anatomy and shot placement and not equipped with the best possible equipment to get the job done. That in itself should be grounds for losing hunting privelegdes for life, along with jail time, as well as being down right irresponsible and unethical. End of story.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Hoytail Hunter

I'm a fairly inexperienced bowhunter as previously disclosed and though I've taken a nubby, a 7, and a 10 with my bow, I consider myself to know very little. This year I lost a doe on a 20ft up and 9yd out moderately quartering away shot. I felt horrible because in my inexperienced mind I was putting the arrowwhere it needed to be (behind the shoulder so that it would exit low in the brisket). After further discussion with board members, it turns out that I should've aimed a whole foot further back. This lost deer was due to me thinking I knew what I was doing when in fact I didn't know jack about that particular shot situation.

I just want a resource, a reference, a rough guideline or whatever you wanna call it for new or inexperienced hunters like myself so we'll have less of those "uh oh" posts.
Didn't you see thisreply I postedon the otherpost you named where to aim?Its alot easier to show someone in person then trying totell them onhere!!!! Go to a local sportsman's shop or hunting store and have someone explain to you where to aim on certain shots and when not to shoot on certain angles. It will make alot more sense for you that way!
Old 11-18-2007, 08:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: loogout1

Lets just say that this someone will keep recovering his single lunged deer and when you get to a number slightly higher than 24, lets say 50+ give or take all with a bow, then you can impose your all knowing wisdom and 10 mile tracking adventures on me. As far as a pass thru shot on one lung, thats where the arrow needs to go, lungs meaning plural is always the better shot but I'll take one over none any day. Seeing that this has struck such a cord with you, that we have started to bring faith into it, I think maybe your efforts would be better spent helping someone first hand, ie;your brother in law, rather than a bunch of strangers on a internet forum. JMO, peace be with you.
Dude you got the wrong guy man. I never said nothing about 10 mile tracking adventures. I don't even think anyone said they had 10 mile tracking adventures. They just said a single lunged deer can go 10 miles.

p.s. I don't have all knowing wisdom. If I did, it wouldn't make sense that I post asking for help for inexperienced bowhunters like myself.

p.p.s. If you've been hunting 15yrs, why did you think a single lunged deer is a bullseye? See, nobody is above education, myself first.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: loogout1

And shame on anybody that goes into the woods with the intent to kill any animal and is not as educated as he or she could possibly be on anatomy and shot placement and not equipped with the best possible equipment to get the job done. That in itself should be grounds for losing hunting privelegdes for life, along with jail time, as well as being down right irresponsible and unethical. End of story.
but up until today you thought a single lung shot placed deer was a bullseye? You weren't looking at who was typing what, and now you're not looking at what you're typing yourself.

I'm done, I think those of you who didn't get all upset at me for what I don't really know, understand I just wanted some reference material.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:26 PM
Typical Buck

fact of the matter: if you love the sport and the animal you will practice until you are comfortable, consistent and confident......and then you will practice some more!
Old 11-18-2007, 09:30 PM

A single lunged deer can travel well over 10 miles and generally does.
A large percentage of one lunged deer survive.
I had seen plenty of deer one lunged and walking about within the week.
I have also seen lots of kills where the scaring on the lung is very visible and the cause obvious.

I Strongy disagree that a single lunged deer can run over 10 miles and generaly does. I know that in rare cases it can, but general BS. The deer to the left was a one lung hit and ran 40 yards to the bottom of a hill and died. If you had a hole in your lung could you run for more than 10 miles?
Old 11-18-2007, 09:33 PM

Sorry, still learning how to work site.

A single lunged deer can travel well over 10 miles and generally does.
A large percentage of one lunged deer survive.
I had seen plenty of deer one lunged and walking about within the week.
I have also seen lots of kills where the scaring on the lung is very visible and the cause obvious.

I Strongy disagree that a single lunged deer can run over 10 miles and generaly does. I know that in rare cases it can, but general BS. The deer to the left was a one lung hit and ran 40 yards to the bottom of a hill and died. If you had a hole in your lung could you run for more than 10 miles?

Quick Reply: 4 dead deer none recovered

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.