Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Eating Crow again >

Eating Crow again

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Eating Crow again

Old 11-18-2007, 12:42 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Eating Crow again

ORIGINAL: gzg38b

I'm a die hard slick trick fan. I've killed 6 deer in two years with them. But I did loose oneon a marginal hit (my fault).

After seeing the pics and reading the results I'm thinking about trying Rage 2 blades.

Where I hunt at my dads place, you want them to drop in sight because if they get into the thick tall bedding area you might never find them even if they are dead.

My only concern is reports of blades opening up mid flight and in the quiver. Has anybody had any problems with the blades opening up????
Hey gzg38b, i heard some of the same things before i decided to try the rage 2 blades. I was as skeptical if not more skeptical than everyone else. After having made my first bow kill with them im fully convinced. Right after i bought a couple packs of them, i immediately put them to the test. I needed a few questions answered before i was willing to trust them on the front of my arrow.

1) Do they fly like field tips? You bet your butt they do, i didnt change my bow one bit to shoot them accurately just like my field tips. Test # 1: PASSED

2) Do they open prematurely in the quiver? Im unsure where people have made this claim from. Ive tried just about every kind of shaking and banging with these broadheads to get them to open with no avail. Ive taken my quiver and banged it on a table every which way, literally TRYING to make them open, but did they?, nope. Test # 2: PASSED

3) Do they open during flight? Before i loaded these bad boys in my quiver, they needed to be shot multiple times to ensure steady flight patterns without the blades opening. I shot one broadhead over 20 times without replacing the o-ring and it flew true and opened on impact each and everytime. I even loaded them up on my dads excalibur crossbow and they performed flawlessly. This was the biggest issue for me and they passed with flying colours. Test # 3: PASSED

4) How do they perform when hitting bone? Any deflection? Loss of KE?

Ill let the pictures speak for themselves on this one:

Entrance Wound:

Entrance: Blew through 2 Ribs on the way in.

Exit: Blew through 1 Rib on the way out.

Exit Wound: Measured 3 inches long.

This particular shot was a double lung complete pass through, with no deflection which i confirmed after. Test # 4: PASSED

Its to the point now where i am so confident with these broadheads that you couldnt pay me to use anything else. Are there other good broadheads out there? Of course, but ive found a groove with these rages and theyve proven themselves to me. Hope this helps guys.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

I switched to them this year after being very satisfied with Spitfires. I decided to give them a try and went from 125 to 100 grains so it was a good time to try something new. I've been very satisfied so far. Huge entry wounds and easy to follow blood trails (although I only had to follow the trail for one of the two deer I've gotten with them). Good choice.

Rob, not to disagree with the old school mechs being very inefficient compared to today's offerings, but I used to use the old Punchcutters with a bow that shot a blazing 217fps and blew them through several deer. So, even though they wouldn't be my first choice today, some of those old mechs weren't too bad.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Is 55-60 lb enough to use these?
Old 11-18-2007, 04:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: gzg38b

My only concern is reports of blades opening up mid flight and in the quiver. Has anybody had any problems with the blades opening up????
If they have, it was USER ERROR!

Old 11-18-2007, 04:47 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: TeeJay

Is 55-60 lb enough to use these?
I shoot 62lb so at 60 youd definately be fine.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am looking for a different BH to use. My Drenalin does not like my Rocky Mtn Iron heads.