Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Need Your Help Guys - Hit One! >

Need Your Help Guys - Hit One!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need Your Help Guys - Hit One!

Old 11-16-2007, 04:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Need Your Help Guys - Hit One!

Ok so after all the drama about gettin a camera stolen I decided to give it a shot down the bottom from where the theft occured.

Well the wind blew hard all afternoon and started to slow up towards dark. And in walked about a 115" 8 pt that was a shooter.

Cuting to the chase:

Two mistakes I made:

1. Didnt wait until he stopped to shoot (not an excuse, but he was going through my last shooting window so it was then or never) He was slowly feeding, not at full walk.
2. Probably coulda slung another at him at approx 50 yrds, but didnt think the first hit, so I hesitated.

(There were probably more mistakes, but there can be another thread for that later)

Shot details:

30 yrds, slightly quartering away. Did not see where arrow hit...

How He acted after shot:

Trotted about 20 yrds and stood for about 3-5 min. Then slowly walked another 20 yrds, and stood again. He looked gutshot, but I couldnt get another shot at this point. His tail was flickering as if he'd been hit. He headed into the bottom.

Shot was at 4:45pm, waited till 5:30 to get down and found the arrow

1st 2/3 of arrow covered in dark blood. Fletchings covered in green guts, (freshly chewed food). A few drops of dark blood on the ground at arrow, didnt walk any further....

At this point I backed out and will head back in morning, so do you think the hit was leathal?? And will he be down by morn??

Old 11-16-2007, 04:10 PM

Default RE: Need Your Help Guys - Hit One!

He's a Dead deer! You did the right thing by backing out and not pushing him...My guess is he's within 100 yrds of where you shot him last.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:13 PM

For sure dead. If he didn't get pushed he will lay down. Sounds like liver/guts......dead. Let us know, good luck.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:13 PM
bigcountry

You hit some liver and gut. He's dead. Looks like weather will cooperate, and tomorrow, you should have dead deer.

Old 11-16-2007, 04:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats tough to say. Did he do a high rear leg kick? After he trotted those 20 yards, did he hunch up and walk like he was in serious pain? You say he stood again...I take it he bedded at least once? When you go to track him tomorrow, Id be ready to shoot him again.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:16 PM

sounds like you hit him back some. He will certainly die tonight. You did right by backing out. You probably got some liver with that gut shot, this is good, it will make expire quicker. Did you find a blood trail to start with tomorrow?
Old 11-16-2007, 04:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds like a typical gut shot deer to me.He's dead! Stay out of there tonight and go back in the morning.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:21 PM
Dominant Buck

I agree with all the others. Dead Deer.

Good luck on your morning recovery.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

My doe acted the same way on a one lung shot (but no guts) ran, stood there for a couple minutes. I backed out and gave her several hours, she was within 100 yards dead. You will be posting pics tomorrow
Old 11-16-2007, 04:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Same thing happened to me. You did the right thing, get out and wait til morning. My guess is hes done. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Need Your Help Guys - Hit One!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.