Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Moving to a new area/state due to hunting. >

Moving to a new area/state due to hunting.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Moving to a new area/state due to hunting.

Old 11-15-2007, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Moving to a new area/state due to hunting.

I was just thinking a bit about my future and where I will end up once my girlfriend graduates. I like the state of Pennsylvania, and the abundance of rural land in my area. However, I don't believe my girlfriend wants to stay, and I know she'll never move to the midwest for my love of hunting, so I'm wondering where I could move and still enjoy being able to hunt as much as I do now. Maryland is attractice due to the lengthened season and liberal bag limits, but I don't think it will compare to PA (no offense MD people).

So, for all of you guys who are now well established, how far are you from your hometown area? Did availability of hunting ground/quality of hunting influence your move at all? If so, how much? I'm curious, because I believe many of us are very serious about this sport, and enjoy it immensly, so it would only make sense that it would influence our decisions on where to move to. Let's hear your thoughts...
Old 11-15-2007, 06:46 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Moving to a new area/state due to hunting.

I've been thinking about moving also. Just to do it. Live in a new place. I am lucky enough that I can move to just about any state in the US and keep my same job....I just transfer.

I thought about the midwest for the obvious reasons, but i don't think i could live in a state with such "harsh" limits and seasons. I am used to SC. we don't have limits and our season is four months long.

Then theres KY.....big deer...decent limits...not that cold...not that hot...

i am given it more and more thought everyday...
Old 11-15-2007, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: M.Hensler/PA

So, for all of you guys who are now well established, how far are you from your hometown area? Did availability of hunting ground/quality of hunting influence your move at all? If so, how much? I'm curious, because I believe many of us are very serious about this sport, and enjoy it immensly, so it would only make sense that it would influence our decisions on where to move to. Let's hear your thoughts...
I am originally from Huntington, WV which is about 8 hours from where I currently live in Jacksonville, IL. Upon graduation of college I realized I was gonna have to relocate to find a decent job. I Had a interview for a sales position in St. Louis, MO. After I interviewed,I was told that I had my choice between three locations. They were South Haven, Mississippi, St. Louis, MO, and Jacksonville, IL. I had never even heard of Jacksonville, IL being from WV. I quickly looked up Jacksonville on a map and that pretty much made up my mind for me. I realized it was only 20 miles from the infamous Pike county, and you know the story, if you are an avid deer hunteryou haveheard of Pike county IL. I was stoked and immediately let my new manager know of my decision to go to J'ville. So, to make a long story short, the only reason I moved to Jacksonville was because it was located in West Central IL. Since then Jacksonville has become my home. I love it here. The people are great and remind me alot of back home in WV. I'm happy with my choice. I have put two P&Y class deer on the ground since moving here and I have also met my wife to be. There are many things about J'ville that I love and it's funny to think that the only reason I chose to move here was for the deer hunting.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is going to sound pretty pathetic, but I consider myself pretty close to my family, and a fairly nostalgic person, so change isn't easy for me. Did any of you who moved far away from home have trouble doing so? I've grown so attached to the family farm and the area in general, that it would be very very strange leaving it...and I think it would be very hard for me. Especially since hunting with my father is a big part of a tradition that we wouldn't be able to share anymore.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: M.Hensler/PA

This is going to sound pretty pathetic, but I consider myself pretty close to my family, and a fairly nostalgic person, so change isn't easy for me. Did any of you who moved far away from home have trouble doing so? I've grown so attached to the family farm and the area in general, that it would be very very strange leaving it...and I think it would be very hard for me. Especially since hunting with my father is a big part of a tradition that we wouldn't be able to share anymore.
That is definitely the toughest part of moving away. My family and I are very close as well. My dad has always been and always will be my favorite hunting and fishing partner. Hell, he taught me everything I know. It's going on a little over 4 years since I moved out here. To this day, everytime my parents come to visit or I go visit them my mom cries when we have to say goodbye. It's definitely hard. But, both my parents realize I did it for good reasons (to get a good job). My dad and I still get to hunt and fish together occasionally. Thats what I miss the most is the time we spent together outdoors. As I mentioned it's definitely tough at first but you eventually get use to talking about things on the phone, instead of seeing them everyday. I suppose is't just part of growing up and getting out on your own.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:20 PM
Typical Buck

You still have vacations and holidays that you can go hunt with your father.

I miss home. Eventhough I didn't move that far, I recently moved to take my job. I know every road, every turn, every tree in my home county. I know no one down here. Its hard to find a place to hunt b/c this is the number one deer county is SC. Leases are up to $45/ac for land. Its crazy.

However, this area does have some of the best public land in the south east.

like i said..i think more and more everyday bout moving to another state....the way i look at it is that if you don't like it, guess what you can do? MOVE BACK!!!
Old 11-15-2007, 07:25 PM
Spike

hey buddy i live in md and love it look at the eastern shore
Old 11-15-2007, 08:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: buckbomb711

hey buddy i live in md and love it look at the eastern shore
I've heard their's rural areas along the eastern coast, but I would probably want to live in the western part of the state. I've only ever been to the beach when in Maryland, so I have no experience otherwise. I've heard their are some beautiful portions. What is the bowhunting situation like their? Mostly public land hunting? Private land access. Leases?
Old 11-15-2007, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Matt,

MD produces some good bucks, perhaps not in the numbers that midwest may, but good numbers and some real big deer. Although, if you look at PA is producing these days, it's hard to say it's a bad place to live, from a deer perspective. Considered OH? Although I'm partial to KY, land can bea little hard to come by.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:33 PM

You should consider Ohio man. Columbus is a great place to live, ya, it's in the midwest, but the city is thriving. . .lots for her to do, and great hunting in bordering counties for you!. . . I once had to choose between my lifestyle and a woman. . . .still miss hersometimes ; )

Quick Reply: Moving to a new area/state due to hunting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.