Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 My First Buck... >

My First Buck...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My First Buck...

Old 11-15-2007, 04:01 PM
Fork Horn

Default My First Buck...

It took three years for me to finally bring down a deer and it happened on November 13 2007. I hunt with my pastor and we started like I said three years ago and up to now have been met with many exciting hunts but no venison to show for it. We stuck with it though and finally have a trophy buck. It was an exceptionally warm day for the middle of November, ranging in the 60's during the day and low 40's when the sun goes down, gotta love Ohio weather. I climberd up into our buddy stand by myself as my pastor had pastoral duties to perform that night, since it was getting close to gun season we had decided to settle on a doe, a buck, we basically wanted some venison. We've had some missed opportunities and I was entering this hunt with no expectations.

When I got into the woods it was 3:00 with sunset around 5:30, for the first two hours I saw nothing, not even a squirral I was watching the sunset and I turned to look at the large patch of woods not far from my stand, and to my surprise stood the monster, branches blocked my view of his rack but his body was the biggest I'd seen yet. I started calling trying to get his attention, grunting with my primos grunt call I was able to keep him near the woods, I watched him freshen a scrape and munch on some corn. I tried to use the estrus bleat to no avail. It was 10 minuets into it when a much smaller 4 point walked out by now my adrenaline is pumping, I hit the estrus bleat twice and the 4 point turns right on his heels and comes right at me, with the larger buck following, I stand and wait for him the four point enters first and stops, I think I'm busted I settle without a second thought for the 4 point I draw and shoot...miss...he takes off and stops, I'm so mad at myself for taking the shot, so I sit down and take an arrow out and stand back up, still mad at myself for making a rookie mistake, to my surprise the 4 point is still there and the second buck is entering my shooting lane. I decide on him, and draw, he's about 25-30 yards away I put my second pin on him steady my arms and release, I watch the arrow pass through him, kinda far back but still a hit. I watch him run off about 45 yards and drop. I call my pastor and the hunt is over, to my surprise the buck I shot is a buck of a lifetime. He has 14 scorable points and dressed out he weighed 175lbs....I couldn't be happier with my first buck...

Old 11-15-2007, 04:04 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: My First Buck...

Wow great first buck. Congrats!!!
Old 11-15-2007, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

WOW!! Congrats, what a great buck regardless of your first or 50th. Way to go, he is simply awesome looking
Old 11-15-2007, 04:06 PM

Wow, congratulations!!! That is one heck of a first deer!!! Pretty amazing that it worked out for you after that miss!! Congrats again
Old 11-15-2007, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

davey"rockit"...good kill
Old 11-15-2007, 04:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

wOOt! Congrats and great job.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Very nice first buck. Congrats.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:27 PM

WHAT A STUD!!! (the deer.....gotta watch this crowd...)

Yours is a feeling I'm quite familiar with, so a hearty congrats and handshake to ya sir.....Very, very nicely done!
Old 11-15-2007, 05:30 PM
Typical Buck

Congrats on a true trophy, and your first!
Old 11-15-2007, 05:52 PM

Good job! excelent buck

Quick Reply: My First Buck...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.