Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Range Finder advice >

Range Finder advice

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Range Finder advice

Old 11-15-2007, 09:20 AM

Default Range Finder advice

I'm in the market for a range finder and (Bow hunt only from 20yds up) so I am debating do I go with a rangefinder around $200 or do I Need to get one with the angle calculation (arc) that are almost double that. I know you get what you pay for, but is it a big difference from regular to arc. I'm asking this because I've never used one before.. Any help is
Greatly Appreciated!!!

Thank you
Phil
Old 11-15-2007, 09:31 AM

Default RE: Range Finder advice

i bought the bushnell 450 after using a buddys and absolutely love it. i dont think the whole arc business is worth the extra money for short bow shots. just my opinion, but I made it 20 yrs without a range finder at all.
now that i have one, could not imagine life without. ps the bushnell can be had on sale for about $129
Old 11-15-2007, 09:33 AM
Dominant Buck

For my hunting the rest of this year....I won't need one. I doubt I'll use one much, next year. I know what 20yds looks like.....and I know my limits (now).

I wouldn't ay the extra for the arc.....and if you're 20YDS up in a tree.....you're WAY too high
Old 11-15-2007, 09:35 AM
Fork Horn

There is a difference. I just got oneon e-bay for about $160 shipped ( new Bushnell yardagepro sport 450 camo) in the store it was $180.It works for me. When your in a stand you have to aim a little low, if at all. I think it really depends on how far it is and what your pin will shoot,ex 1st pin might be good for 15 to 30 yards therefore you may not have to alter your aim. Up in a stand the range is very deceiving and I'm glad I got one
Old 11-15-2007, 09:38 AM
Spike

The trajectory compensation is more usefull in the mountains. If you are a typical bowhunter and are hunting from a 20' treestand, your reading from a regular rangefinder will only be off 1 yard at 20 yards and less than a yard off as you go further out. In a 30' tall treestand your reading will be off 2 yards at 20 yards and 1.5 yards at 30 yards and so on. So as long as you are hunting from an average treestand, in normal terrain, you wont have any problem with a normal rangefinder. A nikon 440 is the perfect bowhunting rangefinder and it's around $180 at Cabelas right now. Hope this helps.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nikon 440 works for me. Got the camo version off Ebay for $190 shipped a while back.I consider that an upgrade from my Bushnell yardage pro sport.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:20 AM

bought my Bushnell at Walmart for $150 and I love it. Best money spent.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:32 AM

THANKS EVERYBODYfor the advise and pointing me in the right direction as far as what Range finder and saving me money.

Phil
Old 11-15-2007, 01:33 PM
Typical Buck

I got the Bushnella year ago and as far as it functioning I havent had any problems. But I wish I would have spent the extra $60 bucks or so for a smaller one. Its hell trying to carry that thing in your pocket and such.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:42 PM
Dominant Buck

Best thing to do. Learn to judge distance. Its not real easy, but makes a world of difference. Lots of times you dont have a chance to range distance. That is when you are on the move. If you are in a tree you can always range objects around you, but if you every do some stalking, its best to be able to judge distance.

Quick Reply: Range Finder advice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.