am new to bowhunting and really wanted to get in to it. I was also wondering what is a good bow and which one should I get. Also what to you need to hunt with a bow that is different from hunting with a gun." />

Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 New what to get? >

New what to get?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New what to get?

Old 11-14-2007, 04:49 PM

Default New what to get?

Hey guys I am new to bowhunting and really wanted to get in to it. I was also wondering what is a good bow and which one should I get. Also what to you need to hunt with a bow that is different from hunting with a gun.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:52 PM

Default RE: New what to get?

I don't know where you are, but I picked up the 07 Diamond Justice last night at Sportsman's Warehouse. This bow was $599 with the package last month. It is on clearance now for $369. I love it so far. They had tons of bows on closeout for great prices.

Jamie
Old 11-14-2007, 05:11 PM

Hey Sharpshooter! Welcome to bowhunting and to HuntingNet! In addition to a bow, you'll need arrows (duh!), a sight, an arrow rest, and a release. Go to a good bowshop and shoot several bows they have on hand. They will be able to help you determine what draw length is right for you and what draw weight you're able to pull. Opinions as to which bow are bound to be all over the map. What is important is that you find a bow that feels right to you. the DVD, Archery Mechanics will take you through bow and tackle selection, as well as proper shooting form. It is a great place to start.

Now is the time where you can do yourself a big favor and learn to shoot properly from the outset. You don't want to be spending a bunch of time unlearning bad habits you picked up because you were in a hurry. Get some good instruction now. If you have a bowhunting friend or relative, who really knows what they are doing, get them to coach you. Otherwise look at some professional instruction. Sometimes, a bowshop will provide some basic lessons if you buy a bow from them. This can even things out as compared to buying from a big sporting goods chain. There are a ton of good DVDs out there that can help you with your archery form, as well as bowhunting (both skills and thrills!).

As you start to get into it, your questions will get more specific. Bring 'em here! There are a bunch of really knowledgable guys here that love to help out a new bowhunter.

-- FLIX
Old 11-14-2007, 05:32 PM

thanks do any of you know of a bow shop in the raliegh durham area N.C.?
Old 11-14-2007, 06:03 PM

Hey I was looking at the Bear archery bows how are they?