Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I've got a Question.. On Average, How many Does will a MATURE BUCK BREED during a season? >

I've got a Question.. On Average, How many Does will a MATURE BUCK BREED during a season?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I've got a Question.. On Average, How many Does will a MATURE BUCK BREED during a season?

Old 11-13-2007, 09:30 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: I've got a Question.. On Average, How many Does will a MATURE BUCK BREED during a season?

I read a long term studyawhile back and they reported 1-2 is average while none of the studied bucks bred more than four. Even the little guys usually bread at least one. I'm sure there would be some variation to this based on the buck-to-doe ratio. If it is 1:1 or 1:2, this data would make sense, but if it is in a heavy hunting pressure area with an out of whack ratio like 1:6, then you'd expect the bucks to be breeding more does.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I've got a Question.. On Average, How many Does will a MATURE BUCK BREED during a season?

Figure a buck spends at least 3 days with each doe - and that 70% of all the does come into estrous in the same 2 week window - I'd say 4 or 5 tops - with maybe a December Fling thrown in.

FH
Old 11-13-2007, 09:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

A buck is a lucky dude, no doubt.

I read, can't recall where (a lot of help there right), 4-6 on average.

Old 11-14-2007, 02:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

I read somewhere that some mature bucks will not take place in rut at all.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:48 AM
Dominant Buck

MOTOWN.....I apologize for not wording my post better. What I MEANT to say is.....the does are (as a GROUP) in estrous for about a 2 week or so window (not individually "hot" for that amount of time).

NY...I've heard the REALLY old bucks don't take part in the breeding, also.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

We all read the same articles..lol My understanding is that mature bucks actually breed much less than thier younger counterparts. Mature bucks 3-5 does.

Kinda like when you were a teenager and hit everything ya could..as you got older you got more selective.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:58 AM
Spike

I saw on Deer and Deer hunting the number may be as low a 5 and as high as 10. They said the studies indicate that the young bucks get alot of action. If the rut last 30 days and a buck stays with a doe for up to 72 hours then I think the number is closer to 10. I am sure there are some that get lucky more than others too but I don't believe the dominate buck gets all the action. I have seen some pretty tired and ratty looking bucks in December. Broken racks, hair missing, gimpy leggs etc.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

You all keep talking about the "lucky buck". Would you really want to be "breeding" ten mates? First, imagine the downside at "that time of the month". Second, it would severely cut into your hunting time and, even if you did hunt, you would never get that climber above ten feet!! Between football and hunting, who has time for breeding during the rut?
Old 11-14-2007, 11:12 AM
Fork Horn

I had a big 10 pointer running a doe under my stand last Thursday morning. Mid 140's 10. 4+ year old deer. He was still locked in there with her Sunday morning. Gone by Monday morning. He spent at least 3 days straight with her. I have trail camera pictures of him alone since. I have a few other big mature deer also alone since. This tells me these mature deer breed less than I've thought. Maybe 4 does during the first rut is what I'd guess if they are very lucky. It's not like they get off one and go right to the next. They have to find one first.