Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Breed Question????

Old 01-10-2005, 04:34 PM

Default Breed Question????

I'm in the market for my first upland hunting dog. I've narrowed it down to a Vizsla. Can you guys give me some feed back on this breed? I have a 5 yr. old son and I'm not only buying the dog for hunting purposes but as a family pet as well.
Thanks in advance guys/gals....
Jim B.
Old 01-11-2005, 07:39 AM

Default RE: Breed Question????

Vizsla's are ok hunting dogs in my experience. I have hunted over 3 from different breeders recently and none of them stood out as overly good. Just decent. They can make great pets, but all of the ones I have known have been quirky. Either really shy, very twitchy or just plain weird. They are not good in the cold.. so those later season hunts in NJ may be a bit rough on the dog.

I'd really research your breeder and meet a few of the owners of pups to see how they like their dogs. They are a "pretty" dog to be sure, just do your homework and make sure you are getting the kind of dog you want. If you were expecting a dog that would be happy sitting around the house... a Zizsla is not the dog for you.
Old 01-11-2005, 07:59 AM

Best hunting dog I've ever owned, feel free to PM me with any questions. Great pet as well.....I've yet to see a shy Vizsla as for quirky, not sure what means.
Old 01-11-2005, 09:01 AM

Coop your PM storage is full.... I tried to ask you a couple of questions in a PM .... I'll just do it here. some people make you feel that if you're not running the dog around a track 24/7 the dog isn't getting enough excersise. I've got a fairly decent sized yard, my wife doesn't work (so she'll be home with the dog) I also have a 5 yr. old son who could probably tire out a pack of wolves! My concern is that the dog has enough activity/excercise. I've seen GSP sit idle for extended periods and still perform really well in the field. I also would like to ask you if you have a gender preference? I'm leaning towards a male and my wife is pushing for a female.
Thanks for your time,
Jim B.