Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 kicked out of my hunting spot! >

kicked out of my hunting spot!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

kicked out of my hunting spot!

Old 11-13-2007, 10:06 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: kicked out of my hunting spot!

ORIGINAL: Jimimac

Check with the DNR and see what they have to say. Sometimes the DNR can trump local ordinance as long as you have permission from the landowner to hunt.
In Ohio where I am, our DNR did just that. As a matter of fact, our DNR told the cop that showed up and was being a dick, that if he said one more word to the DNR officer/County game warden that the cop would get arrested for harrassing me when I was perfectly legal and had written permission from the land owner. Look in your rules and regulations handbook that you got when you purchased this years Lic. In the back of it, it should have all of your local game wardens in it with phone numbers to contact them. Good luck to you!
Old 11-13-2007, 10:13 AM

thanks a lot for the responses. I cant stand ignorant people!! the DFW (which is the same as DNR I believe) told me that they have no authority over the town policies.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talk tosomeone more knowlegeable in the town administration. Small town cops generally dont know jack...or made decisions based on whatever they feel is most important, notalways the 'law'.

The note on your windshield sounds iffy...are you sure a cop actually left it? They generally convey messages in person.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:21 AM

I was just thinking that I hunt on a town line, where can I get a map of where my town line ends? I might just have to go a few hundred yards further to cross into the next town which is legal to hunt.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:43 AM

i had the same thing happen to me minus the part about that anti hunting lady given me **** i shot a doe down in the spot me and my buddy have been bowhuntingfor3 yearsand i shot a doe and we were dragging it out ant it was dark and we talk to the DNR and said it was fine to hunt down there so we hunted down there every morning and night and thenwe were dragging thaat deerout and the copcame and told us we could not hunt down there and i told him that theDNR said it was public hunting land and we could and after i said thathe was likeyou guyus giotta talk to the town about it and i was like nobecause the town line was the train track and we were on the other side of them and that we could hunt there so and he just kept saying no and then wroteus both a obstructing an officer and hunting in town limits to end the story i had talk to mike the guy from the DNR that we talk to and he went in there and said that it is not breaking any laws of us hunting there but the cops stillgive us **** when they are back there andwe come walking out from the night hunt and say we can't hunt back there so now i amgetting a local plot map and goingto cheif of police to show him that is publichunting land and thereare a bunch of people that also hunt it that are allfighting it right now so i am hopeing by next i won't have to put up with the cops any more
Old 11-13-2007, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: monsterbuckhunter17

i had the same thing happen to me minus the part about that anti hunting lady given me **** i shot a doe down in the spot me and my buddy have been bowhuntingfor3 yearsand i shot a doe and we were dragging it out ant it was dark and we talk to the DNR and said it was fine to hunt down there so we hunted down there every morning and night and thenwe were dragging thaat deerout and the copcame and told us we could not hunt down there and i told him that theDNR said it was public hunting land and we could and after i said thathe was likeyou guyus giotta talk to the town about it and i was like nobecause the town line was the train track and we were on the other side of them and that we could hunt there so and he just kept saying no and then wroteus both a obstructing an officer and hunting in town limits to end the story i had talk to mike the guy from the DNR that we talk to and he went in there and said that it is not breaking any laws of us hunting there but the cops stillgive us **** when they are back there andwe come walking out from the night hunt and say we can't hunt back there so now i amgetting a local plot map and goingto cheif of police to show him that is publichunting land and thereare a bunch of people that also hunt it that are allfighting it right now so i am hopeing by next i won't have to put up with the cops any more
sheesh guy....breath! its good for you!
Old 11-13-2007, 11:32 AM
Dominant Buck

I had a county police officer leave a very similar note on my vehicle once. I was hunting a private 75 acre patch of great woods that was surrounded on two sides by a state park. I had written permission(required in Maryland). I ignored his note as I wasn't parked on park land or hunting it. The next day I got another note with a threat to have my vehicle towed if I parked there again. He left his phone number. I called when I got home and told him I had permission. Then he starts on with some lady said we shot one of her dogs. We hadn't. I told him NOPE, not us. Then he gave me a rash of crap about "You people" sneaking into the park. I told him he was off base. Then he started on again about I'd be towed. I said, "let me speak to a supervisor". He wanted to know why. I told him he was harassing a hunter in the legal persuit of game, a punishable crime in Maryland. He said, well just don't go on that park land or I'll arrest you. I said don't threaten me or I'm going to come to the police station in person and file a complaint about him using his badge to badger people doing legal things and accusing us of crimes we hadn't committed and had no knowledge of. I ask him if he understood me. He hung up. I never heard from him again. I called the park police as they had stopped us once following a complaint from the dog lady about hunting the park. We showed them our permission slips, they took our license tags and said they wouldn't bother us since they now knew our vehicles. I called them this time to assure them if they got a complaint we weren't guilty. Anyway, the park guy told us the cop was a jerk and hunted the adjacent land. He was just trying to hog it and probably slide over on ours. I never persued it further but probably should have.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:33 PM

Sounds like the type of situation I tend to get into. I've had a fair amount of trouble hunting private land, now I tend to stay on public. There is some really awesome land near me, owned by a town. It is an old dump, now a "transfer station". I've asked about hunting it, can't get a straight answer. I wonder if it is / can be considered private property. I know for a fact that some guys are hunting it, they're not even very sneaky about it..... bugs me, I want to hunt there too, but I just know there'll be trouble if I do.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:49 PM
Dominant Buck

The thought occurs to me the bunny bunny hugging lady is the real problem, and the reason why you probably won't get to hunt there again. Now if her back yard suddenly began exuding the scent of doe in heat pee she might just change her mind once all those horny bucks got a whiff...I'm just sayin'...
Old 11-13-2007, 02:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

If your state has anti hunter harassment laws then you should have the DNR lay charges on her and the cop actually. That should stir things up a bit. If you're right then don't back down. The cop will likely mark you as a target for any and all harassment he can get away with after though.

Quick Reply: kicked out of my hunting spot!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.