Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Do any scents actually work? >

Do any scents actually work?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do any scents actually work?

Old 11-13-2007, 08:36 AM

Default Do any scents actually work?

Put out some $10 a bottle doe in estrous and had several crusing bucks pass it without so much as any reaction. The first buck passed less than 10 feet from it a half hour after it was out, no reaction what so ever. Do I have to step up to the $30 a bottle stuff or just change brands? I know the stuff won't bring them from 10 miles away but when I need them to come my way that last 10 yards, I'd really like something that works.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:38 AM

Default RE: Do any scents actually work?

DEER DANDER is all you need. Wal mart, ask anyone who has used it!!
Old 11-13-2007, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I love scents and if a buck passes 10 feet from it an hour after it was out I might think it was working..He might not have seen a doe but the reaction was there.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've used estrous scents in the past and had bucks come and put their nose right in the cannisters I had out. Unfortunately, that scent manufacturer no longer advertizes (may be out of business) and the other scents I've tried had had zero successes -- a couple even spooked bucks. For this reason, I no longer use scents. I remember a hunting store owner telling me that he didn't understand why a buck would come to a few drops of estrous urine in your location when real does were all over the woods depositing large amounts everywhere else. It made sense to me and this guy sold the stuff! If it works at all, the only good times to me would be just before and just after the breeding phase.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:01 AM

I'm in between two bedding areas and the bucks are crusing back and forth all day. My problem is they can pass any where and most are passing just out of my bow range (FRUSTRATING). Grunts do little to slow them down. I tried to use ascent drag and a few wicks to stop them and get them to follow closer to my stand but they are ignoring the ground scent and the wicks in the air. I'm thinking maybe a decoy?
Old 11-13-2007, 09:03 AM

ORIGINAL: DaveH

the only good times to me would be just before and just after the breeding phase.
I agree with Dave 100%on this one
Old 11-13-2007, 09:13 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Angry Beaver

I'm in between two bedding areas and the bucks are crusing back and forth all day. My problem is they can pass any where and most are passing just out of my bow range (FRUSTRATING). Grunts do little to slow them down. I tried to use ascent drag and a few wicks to stop them and get them to follow closer to my stand but they are ignoring the ground scent and the wicks in the air. I'm thinking maybe a decoy?
move your stand
Old 11-13-2007, 11:24 AM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: Badger_Girl93

ORIGINAL: Angry Beaver

move your stand
That's gospel.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:44 AM

Yeah, moved the stand twice already, it isn't like there is a trail the deer are following. It is random chance where they choose to come through. One deer passes 50 yards to my right, the next 50 yards to my left.The good news is I haven't been busted yet.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Give it time and one will walk to ya? If it was easy everyone would do it.

Quick Reply: Do any scents actually work?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.