Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Uncle

Old 11-13-2007, 04:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Uncle

Why didn't you use your grunt tube? Oh..........nevermind.
LOL that's a crappy situation as you know.[:'(][]

All joking aside, the bad news from this story appears to be that the bucks in the Southern Tier haven't really gotten into the rut yet. That means that probably the gun hunters are going to have a picnic come Saturday morning.
It sure is lining up like opening weekend of gun is going to be crazy. NY bowhunters missed the peak rut this year. I'll still be toting along my bow hoping one that is running mach 10 stops for me in bowrange [:-].

start shooting your bow at 40 yards
Out of my comfort range. I may or may not be able to make that shot, but I'll never find out. I know my limitations. Outside of 30 yards my groupings are good, but not good enough IMO. Would prefer to keep my 2 deer lost (2 too many)in 20 years of bowhunting intact.

**the good news...... I sat the same area and saw another shooter buck in the same field. I figure that doubles my chances for the last few days of bow. I'm going to hunt that area hard sunrise to sunset for the next 3 days.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

I've learned a long time ago not to hang that close to a field edge, either be in the field (right on the edge) or back in the woods much farther...that's been my experience.

He was scanning the woods, didn't see the doe he knew he heard...they can pinpoint the exact tree I swear. I hang on the edge, call back into the timber so when they come to the edge to search the timber, he's already in range with usually no obsticles for shots.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

When they hang up like that point your grunt tube away from the buck and start working the hell out of it. Hit the can for a half bleat and work the tube again. Then hit the can. Be agressive, what do you have to lose? It has worked for me many times.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:39 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: MOTOWNHONKEY

When they hang up like that point your grunt tube away from the buck and start working the hell out of it. Hit the can for a half bleat and work the tube again. Then hit the can. Be agressive, what do you have to lose? It has worked for me many times.
Best advice there is....after all...it's gospel!
Old 11-13-2007, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ever thought of using a decoy??
Old 11-13-2007, 04:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds like it went exactly the way my turkey season went this year. I would have 3-4 gobblers located every morning and they would hang up about 50 yards out. I even used a decoy to try tobring them in but it just didnt work. Maybe you could try one but it would be a big risk because it might spook him.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:10 AM

ORIGINAL: NY Bowhunter

**the good news...... I sat the same area and saw another shooter buck in the same field. I figure that doubles my chances for the last few days of bow. I'm going to hunt that area hard sunrise to sunset for the next 3 days.
Good luck man.