Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Anyone from Iowa, Kansas, Illinois?? >

Anyone from Iowa, Kansas, Illinois??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anyone from Iowa, Kansas, Illinois??

Old 11-13-2007, 08:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Anyone from Iowa, Kansas, Illinois??

Its probably because of all the outfitters having the minimums on the deer. whats funny is you named every state around me. But missouri doesn't have alot of "ranches" so we don't get alot of publicity. Lets keep it that way.i have passed on alot of bucks that people have told me i'm crazy for.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:07 PM
Typical Buck

I wouldn't say it "rains" monster bucks here in Ia., but every year I usually always get to see a few truly huge bucks, especially during the rut. I count myself as very fortunate to live in the midwest where the cornfed monsters love to roam!
Old 11-13-2007, 09:12 PM

I was born and raised in Iowa. Lived in Iowa 58 years and now live in NE. I some times think I still live in Iowa when I let a 125 inch buck walk. You don't do that here bigger ones are a lot harder to come by NE.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

IA, be Glad your DNR is wise enough to keep your Gun season off the Peak of Rut. I wish IL. was the same

Dan
Old 11-13-2007, 09:34 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

IA, be Glad your DNR is wise enough to keep your Gun season off the Peak of Rut. I wish IL. was the same

Dan
So true. Plus we only get slug guns which evens the odds up a bit in favor of the deer.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:54 AM

Kansas has some big ones but they sure arent behind every tree like the tv shows lead you to believe.

rick
Old 11-14-2007, 04:09 PM

The shot gunners kill a lots of deer in Iowa. As a bowhunter we get to hunt all the rut and that incress are chance to get a big one. Here in NE were I live now just as the rut starts and as the big one start to move around the gun season starts. We do get to hunt some of the second round rut, but sucks after the gun hunter have been shooting at them. They are very spookie and hard for a bowhunter to get a shot at one.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:12 PM
Typical Buck

I agree with Jeff!

ORIGINAL: Jeff K in IL

Your watching a bit too much television.

The pieces of land that you see people kill monsters off of, are highly regulated and are very strict in their managment policies. Not everyone in this state that owns or leases land likes to do it that way. I have a honey hole of a spot that consists of 15 acres about 400yds from my house. I have killed one P&Y deer from it, and another that may come very close. I also have a fenceline that I hunt that I have killed another P&Y off of. There are a lot of hunters in my area, and there are deer, but not the monsters that so many people give off. Sure there are deer that would qualify for B&C, I have seen one of them, but they are not running around everywhere. The deer have to be able to acheive such growth with age and proper nutrition as well as genetics that allow them to do so. Put in the time managing, and you will reap the benefits down the road.

I have two friends that own farms, one owns close to 400acres over towards Indiana, another owns land down by Peoria, each of the farms have their fair share of good bucks, some bigger than 150". But they both concentrate on giving the deer the opportunity to grow to that. My buddie started their management system about 7 years back, this year and last year, they started to see the affects. Bigger bucks, and more of them.

What you see on TV or in a magazine is a little far fetched, what they don't tell you, is the work of finding the deer that big. I work my butt off in the off season to make sure I have a sound spot and gameplan. I have a trail cam, but I do most of my scouting from the tree, or on the ground. I work for my P&Y deer, because they don't come to me.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:41 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: thehairlessone

Kansas has some big ones but they sure arent behind every tree like the tv shows lead you to believe.

rick
I totally agree with that!
Old 11-14-2007, 05:06 PM
Typical Buck

My uncle and 7 of his buddies are heading to Iowa the thursday after thanksgiving. They go evry year the week after thanksgiving and hunt a week. Every trip they bring bakc at least 1 170+ buck home.
It must be nice...

Quick Reply: Anyone from Iowa, Kansas, Illinois??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.