Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Big Bucks luck or skill? >

Big Bucks luck or skill?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Luck
37.97%
Skill
62.03%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Big Bucks luck or skill?

Old 11-12-2007, 11:28 AM
Typical Buck

Default Big Bucks luck or skill?

If you kill bucks year after year that are 130 inch or larger do you think it is skill or luck? I have a argument going on with a friend he says its luck I say its not.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:42 AM

Default RE: Big Bucks luck or skill?

both. there are a lot fo variables that come into play. does the land u hunt posess the quality whitetails that you can shoot them year after year? weather, hunting pressure, and numerous other factors play a huge role in it.
You use the skills you have to hope you get lucky
Old 11-12-2007, 11:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

It's not that simple. For example, I think finances have a lot to do with a lot of guys' success in the field. That's one aspect of "hunting" that is oft-overlooked. Any schmuck can fork out $3500 for a fully or semi- guided hunt and kill a PY class animal every year. Or they can easily buy 3500 prime acres of whitetail habitat and wallpaper the place to help bolster their odds. So add "Money" into the equation.

Same thing with retirees and guys who can take an entire month and devote it to hunting. I guess in fairness, you have to also add "Time" to the list, as well.

"Location" plays a big part, also, obviously.

It's not as simple as luck versus skill. There are other factorshysical abilities, weapon, outside hunting pressure - just to name a few others.

All that said.... I know a skilled hunter the second I meet them.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:47 AM
Typical Buck

I'm not sure how someone could get lucky EVERY year so I am gonna say that there are some other factors contributing to the big buck kills than simply being lucky.

Of course we all know someone who is a "one time wonder" who shoots a monster buck even though they have never had much success at any other time.

But I believe LOCATION is by far the leading factor in whether someone is going to have a decent chance at killing a big buck or not.

Now if someone seems to shoot many more big bucks than other hunters in the same area...I would say that person probably has developed some skills as well as dedication that is setting them apart from the rest.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

cannot answer that. where? If you are killing 130" deer on public land in florida...yup.

If you are killing 130" deer where I live & on private land, NOPE. Just gotta put in the hours and be mediocre. I am no genious and I knowI have killed a lot more big bucks than most truely skilled bowhunters in regions that are not blessed (or cursed [&:]) with low hunting pressure and good genetics.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Both along with time! Finding them and seeing them is the skill. There is still a luck factor as to getting the proper shot.

I'd say 85% skill 15% luck. With "hunting time available" being the equalling factor to make it, trend more towards the skill side.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think there are 3 factors to be considered. Location, skill, luck. In that order. Now if they are doing it year after year.......they likely have 2 of those on their side.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:24 PM
Host of Hosts

BOTH
Old 11-12-2007, 12:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Year after year no one has that much luck.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

A lotta skill, a little luck too. The most a person can do is put themselves in positions that they feel give them the best chance of killing a big buck. Location is important, but it doesn’t make getting one a given. The more you put yourself in that position the better your odds. Many factors go into putting yourself into those positions, time available to scout & hunt, skill at reading the sign you find, persistence to find land that holds big bucks(or to find that one buck on the land available to you) and composure to make the shot when it comes. Dumb luck can fall into place on any individual encounter, but the more encounters you have, the better the odds that one will be favorable.

Quick Reply: Big Bucks luck or skill?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.