Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 It's a southern thang...... >

It's a southern thang......

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

It's a southern thang......

Old 11-12-2007, 10:59 AM

Default It's a southern thang......

I know you guys up north ands some in the south don't have the option of using hounds. Would you guys be opposed to it if it were to become an option? (Gun hunting of course)I have done it all my life, it is a tradition here in Va and many other southern states. I don't love it like I do bowhunting or even still hunting, but it is exciting to hear 30 walker hounds or 20 beagles lighting the woods up on a herd of deer. It will get you heart pounding, even if you don't agree with it. So would yall???
Old 11-12-2007, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: It's a southern thang......

No, I have an awesome time hunting rabbits with my hounds. Safe concept, just different game. I don't find hounds and deer together. I hope Michigan never has the option, but that is my opinion.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:04 AM

I understand completly. It is not as much of a challenge for sure.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would truly be scared of running bucks off of my property for good. I know I have a few bucks on the property that feel it is a safe-haven. For this to continue, I could never run dogs through there. Seems like if you were to break that "deer only" ground, they may never return.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:13 AM

Your right. However, here in SE Va we have huge hunt clubs, all running dogs, so the bucks go back and forth form one place to another. They go nocturnal very quickly!!
Old 11-12-2007, 11:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't care how you legally hunt..That being said if it were "up for Election" in these parts. I would be very very vocal against it! It's not part of our tradition, and I wouldn't welcome it one bit!
Old 11-12-2007, 11:35 AM

I hear ya, I could take it or leave it myself, but I will prolly get hanged if anyone down here hears me say it.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

As a PS.... I've lived in both NC and FL. So i've seen it first hand. The pick-up trucks with the high chair in the bed on top the dog boxes. The 00 and0Buckshot on the store shelves. I hunted land next to a Hunt Club. Dogs have no idea of private property. They chase deer period.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:07 PM

i'm from the south, i'm completely against dog hunts for deer... and most of it is because of the incosiderate pr!cks that i've seen doing it... the have no problem running their dogs across posted land only to wait on the other side to get deer... in my eyes it is no better than poaching...

edit - sounds cruel, but when we see people dog hunting and runnin deer across our land, the dogs get shot and the collars hung on the gate to the property and on fence posts for others to see... i hate doin it, but i hate the practice even more...
Old 11-12-2007, 12:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

id LOVE to use a dog to help track deer. that would be the only use i could see. but we also have our own pattented move... "The Pennsylvania Push" where we dont use dogs, we use people..... with guns...

Ryan.

Quick Reply: It's a southern thang......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.