Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 when to throw in the towel!?!?! >

when to throw in the towel!?!?!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

when to throw in the towel!?!?!

Old 11-10-2007, 10:39 AM

Default when to throw in the towel!?!?!

when is it a good time to just say @#!$ it and just sell your bows..this is my first year bowhunting and ive had to say ive spent way too much @#$#in money on arrows id say like 150+ dollars and i have two left!! broadheads **** ive gone threw them like candy!!! and have only harvested a doe...ive wounded three huge deer and they have all gotten away..that i would have easily hung on my wall...i know yall are gone say well you should practice and you shouldve...blah blah blah...i am a good shot but this just isnt fun anymore!!! i rifle hunt and opening season opened today but unfortunately i have to work and i dont get off till seven!! has anyone had my kind of luck....or am i the just complaining to much!?!?!
Old 11-10-2007, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: when to throw in the towel!?!?!

You are complaining to much. I have been bow hunting for four years now and haven't gotten a deer yet. Bow hunting is a challenge that is the point to it. If it was easy everyone would do it.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Take a deep breath and relax......Nobody said shooting a bow was easy.Its taken me 24 yrs to get where Iam at..It just takes time,have you tried a differant make of bow,Just a thought....If the bow dont fit youll have problems.
Just trying to help alittle...
Old 11-10-2007, 10:55 AM
Typical Buck

put the bow down for the year...get new arrows...take lessons at ur local shop
on proper shooting form and technique...do this and build up to next year
Old 11-10-2007, 10:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would tell you to quit and just kill yourself but you would probably miss.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:02 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: MOTOWNHONKEY

I would tell you to quit and just kill yourself but you would probably miss.
That just aint right
Old 11-10-2007, 11:02 AM
Typical Buck

i also have been hunting for 4 years now and id never give up bow hunting i havent got a der yet not even with a rifle but im so involved with bowhunting i decided not to even rifle hunt this year im not saying im done with rifle altogethe but there is a chance i dontknow i jst find it boreing i cant say its easy becuase i havent got a deer yet but its boreing dont give up bow hunting ever keep the tradition goin and pass it on to ur kids someday
Old 11-10-2007, 11:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hang in there. Im not accusing you of anything, but were the shots you took high percentage or low percentage chancy shots. again just asking?? I have been bow hunting for 20+ year, and believe me i made plenty of mistakes and took my share of shots i was not proud of in my early days. Try and make all shots count, if you are unsure, dont take them. Practice as you mentioned is something we all must do. Animal placement is critical as well, 1/4 away verses 1/4 to could be he difference in a recovered or lost animal. Pushing a woundedanimal verses knowing when to let them lay awhile.again not accusing, just saying. Buck fever can play a huge part of how we perform with a bow, Bow hunting sometimes forces you to look at the animal longer therfore giving you more time to really get shook up. Knowing how to control that gives you an unbelivable edge in the whitetail woods.Good luck!!
Old 11-10-2007, 11:29 AM

ORIGINAL: jquillin0001

... ive had to say ive spent way too much @#$#in money on arrows id say like 150+ dollars and i have two left!!
...broadheads **** ive gone threw them like candy!!!
...and have only harvested a doe
It's my first year bow hunting as well and I've gone through roughly 6 arrows. All but one were destroyed by me either making bad shots, making a phenominal shot when I should've shot at different dots with each arrow, or having a couple simply fatique from shooting them hundreds of times. Now that I'm getting pretty accurate and shooting each arrow at a different mark, I'm not going through arrows anything like I was. You don't mention what's happening to your arrows, but $150 worth seems like an extreme amount. I consider an arrow dead when it's no longer repairable (meaning damaged fletching is not a dead arrow).

I also resharpen broadheads... not sure if you're counting a dull broadhead as "gone through." If you're physically destroying broadheads while shooting targets, I'd recommend you try a different brand of broadhead.

As far as only getting one doe and shooting three others, I'd say you have a gift for being in the right place at the right time. With a few years of bow hunting experience under your belt you may have no problem getting them all.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:33 AM
Typical Buck

Stop killing all the deer and not finding them. Give up bowhunting

Quick Reply: when to throw in the towel!?!?!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.