Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My Week!!

Old 11-10-2007, 08:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default My Week!!

It's been a Fun, but Busy week for me. I was finally able to start hunting IL. and will be able to hunt until Slug season comes in. This week I have only been able to hunt evenings, but next week I should be able to hunt all day a few days anyway. Last weeks recap: I hunted 4 evenings I saw 57 deer out of my tree stand, 30 of which were bucks. The buckswere mostly little PH's but there have been 2 or 3 that were shooters. I had one coming into me on Wednesday night and a Coyote showed up and turned him around. I have been hunting this week using a Decoy, rattling antlers, and a grunt call. Packing eveything in and out is a chore and seems to get a little harder every year, but it is always a blast hunting that small time frame using those methods. I have been really impressed with my Scent Blocker, I am wearing the Under Guard XLT with another Scent Blockercamo layer over it most nights. Hunting by using decoys, rattling, etc. you get a lot of Deer circling around you and the setup. I have used a very strict scent control regimen in addition to all my Scent Blocker products and have not been winded all week. Nope not even once!! I know I just jinxed myself. I took the Guardian up the tree with me on Friday night and had 3 Does come by right before dark. It seemed like a good time to put some meat in the Freezer. The Guardian sent my 340 grain Slick Trick Mag tipped CX Maxima completely through the doe and into Mother Earth for at least 6 inches. My Guardian by the way is only a 60 pounder and I must admit it is one of the most pleasant bows to shoot I have ever owned. It draws smooth, shoots extremely quiet, virtually No handshock, and groups arrows better than I am capable of. After a short sprint the Doe fell over. I thengot down went to the Truck, backed it up to her, and loaded her in the back. See I told you it was a Good time to put some meat in the Freezer. I'll give an update if something else happens over the next 6 days before Gun season. I can still remember hunting hard in IL. over the entire 3 month season back in the late 70's and being lucky to see half the deer in 3 months that I have seen in just the past 4 evenings.There are changes in hunting that I don't like but seeing all the Deer is nice. Hope everyone is enjoying their season!! I feel like in a way all of you are my Hunting Buddies and I have enjoyed the many phone Conversations with several of you. Just wanted to share my past week with all of you.

Dan

[/align][/align]
Old 11-10-2007, 09:21 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: My Week!!

Ive been hunting 3 nights in a row and have yet to have deer walk by me. Well I hear em in the swamp chasing and rubbing making a bunch of noise but they wont come out till dark.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:14 AM
Typical Buck

nice story and good week
Old 11-10-2007, 12:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Man it sounds like you are in the deer and only a matter of time. You brought back memories about the days when you were lucky to see a handful the whole season, man have times changed or im just getting old
Old 11-12-2007, 05:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Bowman4440

Ive been hunting 3 nights in a row and have yet to have deer walk by me. Well I hear em in the swamp chasing and rubbing making a bunch of noise but they wont come out till dark.
I've been there done that too!

Dan
Old 11-12-2007, 05:14 AM

Good report. I have fond memories of a couple Illinois hunting trips... Good luck.