Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Clinton IL. Public land >

Clinton IL. Public land

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Clinton IL. Public land

Old 11-10-2007, 05:50 AM

Default Clinton IL. Public land

Hello-
New to posting on the board, but have been reading for a couple years. Does anybody on here hunt the land around Clinton lake that is open to the public? I live in Bloomington and have been driving down to Lake Shelyville to hunt the public land there but the gas prices are starting to kill me. It is costing me about $25~$35 everytime I go there to hunt.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Old 11-10-2007, 07:05 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Clinton IL. Public land

Welcome to the forum steelerslayer. I'm shocked that you drove from Bloomington to the Lake Shelbyville area, that is quite a drive. I live about 15 minutes from that area which is where I also hunt. I have hunted at Clinton Lake but its been several years ago. I have some links for you if that will help. http://dnr.state.il.us/lands/landmgt/hunter_fact_sheet/R3Maps/cllmap.pdf
http://dnr.state.il.us/lands/landmgt/hunter_fact_sheet/r3hfs/cll.htm
When I hunted there, I was hunting pheasant but I also did some scouting for deer and actually found a massive buck that had broken through the ice and was being scavenged on by coyotes. It appears unlike the Shelbyville lake area, that you must shoot an antlerless deer before shooting a buck. I think you would enjoy hunting this area, it was too far for me to drive up there!
Old 11-10-2007, 07:12 AM
CDG

Might want to check out Sand Ridge State Forrest in Manito/Forrest City. Its about a 45min to hour drive from Blooomington. Been there a few times this yr and it doesnt seem as packed as previous years. They plant food plots and what not. All you need is a parking pass from the rangers station. I've seen some nice deer taken there.Lots of turkeys too.
Old 11-10-2007, 07:29 AM
Super Moderator

I've hunted Clinton a couple of times last year. There are loads of deer there, but at the spots I went, there were plenty of hunters too. As Hunter 59 mentioned, you do need to shoot a doe before taking a buck there.

I saw an albino doe not too far from the park office, that was pretty neat. You'll need to go to the park office to getyour site permit. Don't be afraid to ask those guys questions. They are usually very helpful.

I would definitely check it out if I were you. However, don't be one of the annoying hunters by wandering/scouting all over only an hour before dark or a halfhour after sun-up.

BTW, the lake is excellent for bowfishing for carp. [8D]

Good luck!
Old 11-10-2007, 09:01 AM

Yes, I have hunted there many times....have had very good success, just be prepared to walk and get away from the weekend guys....shoot a doe first now...(used to be buck first) there isnt a bad area there for deer!
Old 11-10-2007, 10:36 AM

Thanks everyone for answering me so fast. Yes Hunter59 Shelbyville is pretty far to hunt for me. I have inlaws that live in Mt. Zion that I stay with on weekends.I occansionally drive the whole way nonstop if I hunt during the week, like I did Friday. I only seen a small 8 pt that hopefully will see more years to grow. Hunter59 where about do you hunt? I have had decent sucess the last couple of years at Shelbyville, 6 bucks in 8 years.

How much land is there to hunt @ Clinton?Is it difficult to find a area that there is not a lot of people?

Thanks for all your information. Good luck to all!
Old 11-10-2007, 12:35 PM
Typical Buck

I hunt over on the Kaskaskia drainage. Sounds like you have done very well in the past few years. I think you can do as well at Clinton. Look at the map for the Clinton Lake area and it will show you the huntable areas for archery deer. I would agree that you need to get farther away from the roads to eliminate most other hunters. Good luck!
Old 11-10-2007, 06:06 PM
Spike

i am also from bloomington and hunt clinton lake allot. i start the year out at dawson lake which is just loaded with deer. but when pheasant season kickes in they go to mon. tues. only so that sucks. but clinton lake also has allot of deer nice ones at that. it is earn a buck which is good because the doe to buck ratio is horrible. gas is getting rediculous even going to clinton is exspensive.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:17 AM

been hunting there 4 years now. great place to hunt. over 3,000+ acres to hunt. most hunters set-up 100-200 yards off the parking area. i do agree that you need to get in deep, and as with most public ground it is hard to find a good way in to your stand and avoid other hunters. i would stay away from the shotgun season corridor btwn county rt 14 and state rt 48 on both sides of the lake. some of my better spots were 75 yards off the lake. lots of deer there. good luck!
Old 11-11-2007, 01:46 PM

See Bee7 -

I havenever hunted Dawson. How is it forhunter pressure? Is there much woods to hunt?How do you go about geting permission to hunt? I have hunted Makinaw before. Way to many people there for me to enjoy a day in the woods.

Quick Reply: Clinton IL. Public land

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.