Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Question

Old 11-08-2007, 07:11 PM
Typical Buck

Default Question

So as most of you know P.A. has antler restrictions. Depending on the area you hunt, the deer must have at least 3 or 4 points on one side for it to be a legal kill. A guy I know went hunting this afternoon and shot a buck. Yup, another P.A. buck down. The thing is, the buck isn't legal. He swears that when he shot the deer it was standing in brush and the deer appeared to be legal. I've personally had this happen in rifle season but didn't shoot. Well, the guy had a good shot withthe deershead behind brush at 30 yards and he took it. Turns out, the deer is a really wide and high spike. If a deer is taken by accident in P.A. there is a slight fine, I believe it to be $25, I'm not really sure, and I think they get to keep the deer but not the rack. The deer was taken on his own private land and he's really an honest guy, but does he report it as an accidental kill? This guy lives back in the cut...probably about 3 or 4 miles from a neighbor and ownsmany many acres and buys his license each year so I believe it really was an honest mistake. It might not be the best decision but I told him not to worry about it. IMO the Game Commission gets plenty of money each year and does very little around here to give back to the environment or wildlife and its not like the deer was taken out of season or with illegal equipment. Whata ya'll think?

Old 11-08-2007, 07:17 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Question

I wonder why you posted this?

Serious question. If you weren't going to do anything about it.....why would you post it?
Old 11-08-2007, 07:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

He should have reported it as a mistaken kill.

How is he going to turn in his harvest card?

Did he tag it, how would you tag it and turn in your card if it were illegal and not reported?

If he didnt' tag it and not reporting it, that's 2 violations.

If he hunts again, that's 3 violations...

see how it esculates?

I'd recommend he report it and take his lumps.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

What might seem like no big deal is still the law and the fine is way too small for me not to pay and chance losing the right to hunt over. If it was not the deer that he was expecting, then what is the big deal about giving up the antlers? Once he crosses that line, where does it stop?
Old 11-08-2007, 07:19 PM
Fork Horn

well imo i would say if he is a honest guy, n it was an honest mistake then give him a chance. everybody makes mistakes. n i'm like u the ODNR does in my eyes nothin 2 my part of teh state.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:33 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I wonder why you posted this?

Serious question. If you weren't going to do anything about it.....why would you post it?
I posted it as an "ethics" type question. However, I'm just curious what you mean by "If you weren't going to do anything about it.....why would you post it?". If you're assuming it was me, I'm sorry to disappoint you. Personally, I haven't even seen a set of horns this seasonbut if I did shoot the deer and weren't going to report it, I surely wouldn't post it on here. Chances are I'll be one of the "orange marines" in a few weeks.

Rob, good questions. I know the deer is tagged because I saw it. It's a really big spike. Actually the biggest spike I've seen in my life. As far as the other question, I can't hoestly answer. I know what I would do....and I know what he's going to do. I just wanna see what everyone else says
Old 11-08-2007, 09:12 PM
Dominant Buck

snake:

You misunderstood. What I meant was.....if you're not going to report the infraction....then why bring it up? Think about it.

That's all.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

The right thing would be to report it as an accident kill. Theres nothing worse than a dishonest hunter and nothing better than an honest one. So the guy would be out 25.00 and a rack, you cant eat the antlers anyway.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well first of all You have to physically be able to count tines in Pa now to make a shot! It's part of the game. I've let so many deer walk that I knew in my heart of hearts was more than a 3 pt (one side) But without being able to count you can't shoot!

Old 11-09-2007, 05:59 AM
Host of Hosts

You said that the man was an honest person and that it was a mistake. You then tell him to not worry about it. You are turning an honest man into a dishonest man. Who has the ethics problem now? It should be reported and handled like a HONEST mistake. I agree with Rob's post. It can only escalate into more violations.

Quick Reply: Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.