Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bowhunting and ethics. >

Bowhunting and ethics.

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunting and ethics.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bowhunting and ethics.

Where does the line lay now with bowhunting and ethics? More or less I mean... how far is too far when it comes to bow hunting?
By nature and upbringing... I see no reason to shoot at an animal more than 35 yards away... and thats the extent at witch I will draw and shoot on a deer... I can get close, and i know I can kill at 15 - 20. 40 and 60 yard shots seem way too unethical for me to even talk about. Too much can go wrong, the possibility of wounding an animal is elevated about 50%.
So, just because you can hit a target at that distance, why would you shoot an animal that far?
Any jackass can kill with a gun from 50 to 200 yards... I thought the magic of bowhunting was supposed to be up close and personal? The cream of the crop?

Old 11-08-2007, 07:08 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Bowhunting and ethics.

As I bowhunt longer...my "max distance" gets shorter.

BUT.....what's comfortable for "me" has NOTHING to do with what's comfortable for someone else. If you've practiced the shot....and you can pull it off......who am I to say what's "ethical" for you?

Old 11-08-2007, 07:12 PM
Fork Horn

I think what it all comes down to is your own personal shooting abillity and your equipment. If you know your equipment will safly and ethicly shoot at 40,50 60 yards then I dont see why you cant. I do agree with you, I also wont shoot past 40 yards. One reason is, I dont know if I can effectivly make a good clean kill further than 40 yards. I know what my bow or gun will do so I wont shoot past that untill I know I can make a clean fast kill. Like I said I do agree with you but if your pulling 80 or 90 pounds on your bow you should be able to make such a shot, but again its all up to what you know you and your equipment can do.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I understand your point....
Practice in the situation is one that stands out from practice on the target. The adrenaline, the fact that, unless your shooting over a field, the cover may affect the shot.... An arrow at over 40 yards does some very strange things...
with hunting involved, I just see it as a wasteful and desperate attempt at an animal to put on the wall besides shooting one you know will die.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:27 PM
Fork Horn

When bow hunting dont you look at what your shooting lanes are and where you can or cant make that shot because of limb saplings ex...? You all ready know and clear shooting lanes around your stand and have spots picked out that you can shoot at if the deer comes by there. You have to be sure of all your siroundings and object if your going to make any shots. Sometimes we miss one twigand you know you will and you will hit it but chit happens, all you can do is learn from it and go on. I think everyone has made a bad choice and a bad shot once, but I bet they dont make that same mistake again.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Some people learn theirlimitations other just keep testing theirs, the deer pay the hard price.
Bow hunting is an up close and personal thing learn it and love it.
Get close, get a gun or get out.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

More than enough lanes are not 40 yards. at least not normally, unless you've got some pretty sound controlled burns going on then the the saplings and whatnot will be around.
My point is. Without stirring an argument.
Your margin of error in the woods is just too high. People should strive (and this is just my opinion) to shoot animals at a full 6 inches away if they can. I try to get to where I can see the hair on their noses flare. I understand that people can post all day on how badass a shot they are, how far they can shoot, etc...
Your still taking a chance every 10 yards you shoot, even with a new X-Force or whatever... reliability drops
Old 11-08-2007, 07:40 PM
Fork Horn

I totaly agree. Alot more room for error the ferther away you get. Shot close and you aliminate a good percentage of that.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:47 PM

ORIGINAL: dyb3and88

I think what it all comes down to is your own personal shooting abillity and your equipment. If you know your equipment will safly and ethicly shoot at 40,50 60 yards then I dont see why you cant. I do agree with you, I also wont shoot past 40 yards. One reason is, I dont know if I can effectivly make a good clean kill further than 40 yards. I know what my bow or gun will do so I wont shoot past that untill I know I can make a clean fast kill. Like I said I do agree with you but if your pulling 80 or 90 pounds on your bow you should be able to make such a shot, but again its all up to what you know you and your equipment can do.
EXcellent response . It is up to the Man/women to know personal abilitys as far as mental and phisical preparation . No one can judge that but the person drawing the bow .
Old 11-08-2007, 07:56 PM

i have been bowhunting only 3 yrs avidly, but none of my shots have been more then 15yrds, last thursday i shot at just 7 paces

Quick Reply: Bowhunting and ethics.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.