Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
yes, any legal buck
6.59%
somewhat, but not too much lower
35.16%
no i stick to my plan, even if it means tag soup
43.96%
no standards, any legal buck that gives me a shot is fair game
14.29%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

standards...

Old 11-08-2007, 01:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default standards...

as the season dwindles down, do you "lower your standards" any?? (IF you have standards for buck size)

just curious...no wrong answers...just out of curiousity

this year, i really didnt have standards..was hunting my first bowkill...first legal buck that gave me a shot was fair game...though when that 12-14" wide 8pt came out of the thicket at 10yds opening day, i immediatly said PASS..then looked him over better and said nevermind! hes mine! all that thinking caused me to never think about putting my arrow on the rest and blew a picture perfect shot...

not dissappointed a killed a smaller buck...i had a much better shot at the buck i did kill, not that the shot at the bigger buck was HARD..15yd shot, hardly an angle at al, but i had only a hole to shoot through to get to the vitals...10" hole..but a hole between brush and trees none the less..so anything could have happened...

next year i think im saying "nothing smaller than last year" and sticking to it throughout the season...atleast bowseason...but then again a 10" wide main frame 6pt aint much to top to some of you guys lol..figured that is a good starting point in my quest for larger antlers..

alot of you may be in a similar boat as me, not super good hunting land and hunting land that recieves ALOT of pressure and most bucks get taken from it yearly...so i can see why lowering standards would happen...

and some people simply dont care about the size of antlers...they arent WHY i hunt, but we ALL like bigger racks...
Old 11-08-2007, 01:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: standards...

I plan to not shoot until I see something bigger than my current best 84". I have passed a couple of small bucks since I killed it 2 1/2weeks ago. However I honestly just don't know until I'm in the stand and he offers a shot. No telling what may happen then.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:13 PM
Spike

I'll lower them some, but not too much. I usally try for a 10 point, 150 class buck. But if I haven't found one or the season gets close to the end, I'll shoot an 8 point. I've shot quite a few bucks so just shooting something for the sake of filling a tag doesn't thrill me. Don't get me wrong, I love venison, but between my dad and I, there's plenty of deer meat to eat each year.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

My standards stay the same until I approach the end of my vacation time. I set out to not shoot anything younger than 3.5...however if I don't have one put down by this weekend, I MAY shoot a 2.5.

I can't really say until I see the deer and come to the point. I know of one 2.5 that I have been watching on regular basis the last 2 years from one certain stand. He is off limits in my mind just because he almost always comes in to the setup.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:20 PM
Dominant Buck

Here we go agian.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:21 PM
Dominant Buck

I go for the babies. If they are not nursing, I wont shoot them.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep...because in the end I am hunting for meat. After week 3 of Nov I thump the first 2.5 year old buck that walks by and get that 90 lbs or so to fill the freezer....It has happened several times. By then I am enjoying being out there a bit less....so to me it is pointless to continue.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Kojak248

I'll lower them some, but not too much. I usally try for a 10 point, 150 class buck.
If a 150 class walked in front of me...I would take it super quick. There aren't a lot of big deer around where I hunt, so what is considered small to you guys might be average for me. I am after a 8 point, which is the biggest deer that I have seen on the property since I started hunting there five years ago. However, like txjourneyman said, all things are subject to change when out on a hunt and the deer is standing right there.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:24 PM
Typical Buck

A buck that gets a free pass from me early in the season will also get a pass late in the season.

I would rather eat tag soup than shoot a buck that I won't be happy with.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:41 PM
Typical Buck

Right on cooter!

Standards are standards. If you lower them, you will not be completely happy, IMO.

A seasoned hunter shooting young deer isnt doing the right thing, IMHO.

Shoot deer that have the same experience as you in the woods. If you have lots of experience, shot a deer that is old, if you dont have much, shoot little ones until you become experienced.

Quick Reply: standards...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.