HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   2nd doe down. amazing shot. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/216540-2nd-doe-down-amazing-shot.html)

bassman417 11-07-2007 08:02 PM

2nd doe down. amazing shot.

Today around 4:30 a big doe came out and with no buck trialing her I decided to take the shot. It was pretty windy and shot a bit high and went right over her back. She spun around and got back into the same exact position. She was so focused on the doe decoy that was 35 yds away from her she never saw me. I nocked another arrow this time with a Grim Reaper and let if fly. The wind gusted and the arrow hit at the base of the neck. (thats right, another neck shot) She was quartering towards me and she only ran about 20 yds. After cleaning her I discovered I had taken out the juggular, both lungs, and grazed the top of the heart taking out a main artery. I dont know exactly how much pennetration I got, but I went from the bottom of the neck to the 2nd tolast rib on the opposite side. No pass thru though. I think if the Rage had connected it would've been complete pass thu, I like both broadheads, but Rage is by far my all time favorite. Gonna try to get a buck this weekend. Her tarsal glands were just starting to turn brownish, and didnt smell very estrous-y yet. A couple more days yet and they'll be in full swing, and the does are getting fewer and fewer by the day. Should make things a little easier I think.

GMMAT 11-07-2007 08:06 PM

RE: 2nd doe down. amazing shot.

We have any "magic arrow" theorists, out there????

ckiel24 11-07-2007 08:08 PM

congrats on the doe man. GL on getting a Buck! :D

Matt/TN 11-07-2007 08:09 PM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I could actually see this shot happening without thinking about it too much (Not that I would take a severe quartering to shot). This shot taking outthat much doesn't seem like a stretchespecially with a mechanical, and from a treestand. (Not saying we were't believing you about the shot though)

snake123 11-07-2007 08:13 PM

I'm not really enthusiastic about taking a quartering to shot.Just too much to risk IMO. But nonetheless congrats on the doe

ryanschm2 11-07-2007 08:13 PM

Better to be lucky than good i guess.

GMMAT 11-07-2007 08:15 PM

I discovered I had taken out the juggular, both lungs, and grazed the top of the heart taking out a main artery.
Hey if it happened, it happened. That's a magic arrow, though. I've only cut open 27.

Congrats.

MN/Kyle 11-07-2007 08:18 PM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Yes, Sir! Congrats.

Rob/PA Bowyer 11-07-2007 08:21 PM

ORIGINAL: ryanschm2

Better to be lucky than good i guess.
I agree.

bassman417 11-07-2007 08:21 PM

The shot was aslight quarting to. I felt very confident in my shooting ability and with taking the shot. The doe was to the East-North East of me and the wind was out of the South East. About a quarter to half way to the deer the wind gusted slightly after being dead calm. The back of the arrow shifted to the West? I guess and the arrow just followed the path of the broadhead not the inline trajectory due to the wind making the arrow hit at an angle. Like I said "Amazing" couldnt do it again if my life depended on it.