Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 This scenario--"the deer won't come within 40 yards of me for some reason".... >

This scenario--"the deer won't come within 40 yards of me for some reason"....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

This scenario--"the deer won't come within 40 yards of me for some reason"....

Old 11-06-2007, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default This scenario--"the deer won't come within 40 yards of me for some reason"....

I can't tell you how many times I talk to guys at the game check that say, "the whole year Ive seen alot of deer but for some reason they won't come within 40 yards of me".....all the while they are chain smoking cigarettes in the woods and I myself can smell them from 10 feet away...thoughts? And other than thoughts....for some reason I really laugh every time I hear this from someone, more so lately than ever before!

shadow
Old 11-06-2007, 07:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: This scenario--"the deer won't come within 40 yards of me for some reason"....

i am obsessive about scent control i will not smoke or pee or do anything that will be noticeable by the deer
Old 11-06-2007, 08:05 AM

Default RE: This scenario--"the deer won't come within 40 yards of me for some reason"....

As anal as some of us may be about scent control, I know several hunters who smoke while on stand and kill big deer consistantly. While they may not be killing the monsters most of us dream about, they're still killing big deer.

Go figure.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

One of the guys that was smoking said he went down and took a dump, then climbed back up in the stand smoking, and said he could not understand why the buck didnt continue walking the trail by his stand--LOL

Old 11-06-2007, 08:11 AM

Hey when the beer and chili hits you, you gotta do what you gotta do!!
Old 11-06-2007, 09:41 AM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

As anal as some of us may be about scent control, I know several hunters who smoke while on stand and kill big deer consistantly. While they may not be killing the monsters most of us dream about, they're still killing big deer.

Go figure.
I have to admit..... I am one of those guys. Although, this year I didn't have time to smoke. I had deer around me from the time I got there until I shot mine. Next year it shouldn't be an issue because I plan to quit. I have to admit I've killed pretty many big deer during and after smoking but I don't recommend it. It must have something to do with "playing the wind" [:-]
Old 11-06-2007, 09:48 AM

[:@]I stopped smoking in the stand.. Mr. Java continues to drink his OJ.. eat his snacks andsmokehiscigs and gets down to pee andis STILL seeing more then me!!!
Old 11-06-2007, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Playing the wind may not help you with that beer and chili issue, though. The dispersion rate is so fast with that stuff you need a pretty stiff wind to knock it down.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I honestly don't think that smoking bothers deer any. Think about how many deer you will see and subsequently kill the year after a controlled burn? Fire and smoke are naturally occuring things. I'm not a smoker, and I am very scent control aware, but I just don't think it would bug them at all. Human odor of course is a big red flag.

One other reason that lots of hunters, and even those who do not smoke or anything, only see deer at 40 yards is because everytime you enter the woods you leave some scent behind. In the case of hanging a stand for example if you are not at least somewhat cautious about scent control while hanging the stand, when you'll likely be sweating and what not... deer can change their patterns to move around you very quickly. North American whitetail had a small aside during their show where their biologist said that almost everydeer that uses that piece of property frequently will know exactly where your stands are within 72 hours. Pays to be mobile.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:50 AM
Fork Horn

I have smoked on stand but very sparingly. I always have a scent killer with me and only when the wind favors doing it and throw the butts in a sealed container(35mm film container or empty water bottle). If I am in an area thick with deer, i don't smoke. One stand I have been hunting deer come from all directions and I am hunting on the ground. I shot an 8 point this year that came from downwind of me. I doubt that would have happened if I was smoking.

I also practice very good scent control, so it make me not want to smoke, but If I am sitting all day, I will have to have a smoke and will do it during slow times. Some of my stands are on the high side of a ridge, where the downwind side is in a valley. This is bonus for smokers and for when the bottom end has bad chilli/beer breath. The scent line may be 50 feet above the deer, so i don't worry to much about it when hutning these stands.

Do I reccomend it? No, Do I do it? Sometimes. Have I killed deer after having a cigarette? Yes.

Other reasons why deer dont come close? The clothes or camo the person is wearing. If the hunter is using old camo that is faded, it sticks out like a sore thumb. Some of the faded camos almost have a white sheen to them when the sun is rising or setting. Same with clothing made in China. They use UV brighteners in their fabric to make it look better on the store shelves. For this you need a UV killer spray.

The last reason is. A lot of people are novices. They move to fast or to often. They wear bad clothing, smell like city folks, and often times do not set up thier stand with proper cover.

Quick Reply: This scenario--"the deer won't come within 40 yards of me for some reason"....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.