Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Wait or Get in?

Old 11-05-2007, 08:26 AM
Spike

Default Wait or Get in?

Should you wait until you can see before walking to your stand in case you see a deer before you spook it or get in before light to let the woods settle down?
Old 11-05-2007, 08:44 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-05-2007, 09:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Wait or Get in?

If you know where you are going (tree-wise) absolutely get in under the cover of darkness. If it's an area where you're unsure of the tree. I get in just prior to light, find a tree as predawn hits, and get up and settled as quick as possible.

Picking a tree in the dark is a gamble that may require resetting..so I don't do that if it's a newer area.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:12 AM
Dominant Buck

I go in a LOT earlier than most. I bump less deer this way, plus I sleep like a CHAMP in my climber.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Get in under darkness.. hands down!!!
Old 11-05-2007, 09:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I go in a LOT earlier than most. I bump less deer this way, plus I sleep like a CHAMP in my climber.
And due to location you don't battle the bone chilling cold that most of us do.. Sitting 2 hours in the dark at 50 degrees is a little easier to take than 2 hours at 27 degrees (Saturday) or less.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:26 AM
Dominant Buck

Fair enough, GR8.....but a search will show I got into my stand at 3:45 last year when I took my 8 pointer that's on my wall, now. I recall the temp being 14 deg., that morning.

Here's the story....

I'd have to say taking my best buck on the second to last Saturday of the season. Lisa and I had gone out to my Co.'s Christmas party the night before.......then met some friends out for a drink. We came home.....settled into the hot tub for a bit.....then I had a decision to make. Either go to bed......and risk not getting up (It would have been easy to stay in the bed )......or stay awake and go hunting. I took a shower.......and went hunting. When I left the house.....it was 14 degrees.

I got in my tree a good 3 hours before first light. I napped a bit.....but it was the "coolest" feeling in the world being up there and being warm. I watched a few deer file through (seeking a doe to take.....but not getting a clean shot at any I saw)....until I saw the one I took. He offered a shot (FINALLY!) after teasing me by chasing a doe my way, twice. I figured it at 27yds or so......but later walked it off at 33. Either way.....it worked out, fine.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like to get in early and settle before the sun comes. GR8, I am a little more north than you and I spent an hour and a half in my blind before first light Saturday. All I can say is LAYERS. That, and good boots and socks. Of course, the blind does take most of the wind out of it, but we had none to speak of Saturday. Maybe years of standing watch in freezing cold temps for four or six hours at a shot have helped.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

KUDOS GMMAT..I'm all for getting in an hour or so before light.. If you see me in my stand at 3:45am. I either have the next "hole on the horn" patterned or I've gone plum loco..!

Old 11-05-2007, 09:50 AM
Dominant Buck

"Plum Loco" probably fits.

I don't make a habit of THAT kind of thing....but I'll be on stand in the morning no later than 5:00. I've just learned through trial and error that I bump WAY less deer the earlier I arrive. I'm hunting a staging area that is really hot right about now.....so I do this out of necessity.

Quick Reply: Wait or Get in?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.