Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 advice on a climbing stand. >

advice on a climbing stand.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

advice on a climbing stand.

Old 11-06-2007, 04:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: advice on a climbing stand.

The first and last climber I'll ever own is the Summit Viper. Absolutely awesome stand IMO.

Actually, I didn't believe the hype everyone was spewing about the Viper until I bought one.
I didnt' either. I was reading about everyone raving about their viper on here for years. Finally bought one and started using it. Everything that was said was true. Easy to use, quiet and it's almost too comfortable. The only thing I've ever found wrong with it is every so often when I'm walking with it on my back the teeth from the v of the foot platform will catch the back of my calf. Not sure how or why but it sucks when it happens.

Old 11-06-2007, 04:34 AM
Host of Hosts

I had a Summit Viper for my first climber. I now have a Summit Razor SS and like the Viper ( same thing basically with a bar you can move) is so comfortable its easy to sit on stand for alot of hours.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MarkfromNWMO

Its about time I buy a new climber, mine is on its last leg and I don't feel overly safe in it anymore.
What do you all recomend? My old one is a Summit and has been good, but all worn out and rickity now.
My buddy has a tree lunger, but looks awful awkward....

What do you all recomend for a large, sturdy comfortable bow hunting stand?
Thanks fellas.
Stick with Summit and get either the Viper or 180....personally, I'd go with the 180 because it allows you to face the tree or away from the tree.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:51 AM
Typical Buck

I have a Summit Goliath. I'm about 290 and very comfy in it. It's a great stand and I feel safe. That's coming from a guy who doesn't like heights. Of course, I climb with the safety belt attached to the tree.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:10 AM

Another vote for the viper.Great stand and is the most comfortable hunting platform Ive ever used.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:08 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Mikey S.

ORIGINAL: MarkfromNWMO

So does the rest on the Viper get in the way for bowhunting?
only in an extreme downward angle shot. But you can adjust the height of the seat to change where the rail sits. The summits are tough to beat, I've tried a bunch of different climbers,and they are tops.

The goliath is nothing but a viper, but with a wider seat section. I'm 5'10, 200, and actually wish I had a Goliath. Especially in colder weater with bulky clothes on. I may seriously consider that next year.....or...

....I've had my eye on the Equalizer now for some time, and I may pull the trigger on that purchase. A lot guys seem to like them.
Thanks Mikey. I appreciate that info. I am 5'10... and about 230... (I'm fatter than you) haha....
Sounds like I would be ok with either one then. I will go ahead and try another Summit.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:23 PM
Typical Buck

Just got back from Bass Pro, yes I bought the Viper. Got a big hunt planned and can't wait to use it. Hope it's as comfortable as they claim, I'll need to be in the stand daylight to dark.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:23 PM
Fork Horn

After buying my lone wolf lock-on tree stand with the climbing sticks, i will never again buy a climbing stand. This stand is so quiet, compact, and quicker to get up in the tree and can be adjusted to the angle of the tree, both the seat and the platform adjust. And can go on any size tree, instead of having to pick a tree that is able to accept a climber.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:43 PM
Fork Horn

Get one that can be adjusted while climbing the tree. I have an API that is super comfortable but it uses the chain with a pin setup. Once you setthe chain lengthat the bottom of the tree you have to keep it there.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:36 PM
Typical Buck

I have been using an Equalizer for 3 years now and love it. ASome say it's not quiet enough, but I don't happen to share that view. I had been in it for less than 5 minutes when my deer came in Sunday. If it were that loud there is no way that would have happened.

Quick Reply: advice on a climbing stand.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.