Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Back to my roots (buck down) pics >

Back to my roots (buck down) pics

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Back to my roots (buck down) pics

Old 11-03-2007, 07:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Back to my roots (buck down) pics

Well folks you have been hearing me whine about having the toughest season
i have ever had. our heard got hit with the blue tounge virus very bad. I have been trophy hunting for the last 5-6 years and have killed three very nice bucks with firearms but my love is bow hunting. I had some very close calls but no cigar with the big boys. Last week i decided after not seeing any bucks at all or hardly any sign that if a good 2.5 with at least 8 points presented a good shot then i would take it. Now this evening has some good news and some bad news (maby) I had set a ladder stand for my just turned 16 year old sonDalton this after noon where we had finally found some scrapes that were hit fresh. Dropped Dalton off and i went to a spot i had found while shed hunting that was a natural funnel with a ditch on one side and 50 yards the other way was the outside corner of a thicket. I had saved this spot for when the rut was kicking in. At 5:00 i spoted a coyote coming my way, i have always wanted to shoot one with my bow. He got 18 yards in front of me, i made a kissy sound, he stoped, settled my 20 on him and let er rip. He did about 10 circles and was growling at the spot that i thought i hit and ran off. At 5:35 i hear a loud grunting behind me going crazy but see noting. it got quiet then i see the doe coming, she passes at 18 yards, i finally see the buck and since he met the criteria i had set i decided to shoot when he passed on the does scent trail. I gave him a mah and setled the 20 on him, let it fly, he ran 20 yards, stops and falls over dead. Ends up there was only hair on the coyote arrow, i grazed him.
Im just starting to climb down when my son calls on the radio, he had also shot a buck but hit it in the shoulder []We found his arrow, it had penetrated about 6". we found no blood so we are waiting till tomorrow. He has 3 bow kills and 6 gun kills and was yet to wound an animal. He feels sick but it aint over till we search tomorrow. Anyway trophy hunting went out the window this season and i got back to my roots and had fun doing it. Next year itson like donkey kongGot the family involved that made it special to me, they love eating venison. One more thing, its an honor to kill a buck on the same day as (Mobow) killed his first, dude i feel like we are connected somehow

Old 11-03-2007, 07:55 PM

Default RE: Back to my roots (buck down) pics

Congradulation's on the buck, that's really ashame to hear about the EHD in your area. Luckly we missed on it in our area (to my knowledge atleast). Hopefully you'll find your boy's deer, It's probably a good thing you backed out and back out so soon. Can't wait to see the pictures of him tomorrow. Congrats to both of you.
Old 11-03-2007, 07:56 PM

Nice buck congrats hope you find your sons deer tommorrow.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

bloodcreek, how cool and very nice buck. Wow, the bucks are starting to fall. I got a call from Matt / PA in MO and they came very close too...

Way to go blood, and that's a great family photo too. Way to get the family involved. I love it. Loved the story too. Congrats.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:02 PM

Good luck finding that deer. Nice deer for yourself. That's awesome that you have your whole family involved. Really really cool.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats Dan, I don't blame you for taking what was there after reading about all the deer you lost down there this year. And that ain't no baby either, that's a nice buck.

I guess if mobow can kill a buck this year, anybody can.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:01 PM

John, ya know......I used to like you dude......

Blood, we're connected alright, but..........MINE IS BIGGER!!! (not the first time you've heard that, huh?? [8D] )

No, congrats my friend! You've had it hard this season, and there just aren't as many deer around after that damn blue tounge....

I'm sure you'll find your sons deer bud...I have faith in ya!!
Old 11-03-2007, 10:20 PM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

Dan

Congrats on your buck !!Sorry to hear about your son's misfortune. Good luck in the search tomorrow.

Tim
Old 11-03-2007, 10:29 PM
Site Buck Guru

Congrats, nice hunt and buck!
Old 11-04-2007, 05:21 AM
Dominant Buck

Really happy for you Dan! I'm glad the season has made a BIG turn for the good (with the shooting of this buck).

Congrats!

Quick Reply: Back to my roots (buck down) pics

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.