Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
long range binos??? >

long range binos???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

long range binos???

Old 01-19-2003, 07:37 PM

Default long range binos???

whats your choice on binos for antelope and/or mulies, in open range 300+ yds. would like swarovskis but 15 or 1600 is abit much lol. thanx for the info. fishon......

Old 01-19-2003, 09:28 PM

Default RE: long range binos???

I don't personally own a pair but the Zeiss 10X Binocs seem to be quite a bargain at ~$700 in the Cabelas catalog. Without using a tripod I would not go higher thatn 10x.
Old 01-20-2003, 11:41 AM

I have tried many different types of bino's including swarovski, zeiss, Tasco EXP, and Loupold wind river and I trust the Loupolds the most I took them hunting with me and I got anoyed because they could see deer way before the sun thought of rising and my rifle scope couldn't. The loupolds are crystal clear, let in a tremendous amount of light, they are armored and are of superior quality, I love them. I am using 8x42 roof prism wind river Loupold binos, in my opinion they are the best.
Old 01-20-2003, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

I've tried several. I can't tell the difference between the Swars and the Steiner predators. Both very, very clear and sharp. Less $$ for the Steiners.

"Semper Fi"
Old 01-21-2003, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Swarovskis will be the best binoculars in the Outdoor Catalogs. They will let in more light than any other type. That's why they are so much money. You'll only notice a difference between these as other high-dollar glasses during low-light conditions. The EL series is tough, the coatings on the glass are practically stratch proof. You could run a kinfe along the glass and it wouldn't scratch.

But you can get a good pair of binoculars for $300. Go with the Nikon Monarchs, they have awesome clarity and let in a lot of light, and are very comparable to the Leica, Steiner, and Zeiss. The Cabelas Waterproof and Luepold Windriver series is close behind, and also great optics but won't be as good as the Monarchs. The only downside on these optics is they aren't completely waterproof(just weatherproof), and have a limited 25 year warranty, unlike the 100% waterproof and lifetime warranty on the others. The new Zeiss IMO are a bad buy. Their new design is terrible, the eye-cups easily break, and aren't near as tough as their Classis series they discontinued, which are great optics, if you can still get ahold of them. Good luck

Visit My Updated Hunting Page
Old 01-21-2003, 06:42 PM

Thanks for all the replies, I think the steiners are my first choice. Seems like the wind rivers are popular as well. I guess my main concern is clarity and low light. thanks again fishon....

Old 01-23-2003, 08:52 AM

Another quality brand you may want to look into is Burris. I have had a pair of 10x50 now for about 3 years. I have used them on three elk trips and have always gotten compliments from outfitters and other hunters on there clarity. I have also dropped them out of a tree stand (OOPS 22ft.) they handled it no problem.
Old 01-23-2003, 08:57 AM

Another quality brand you may want to look into is Burris. I have had a pair of 10x50 now for about 3 years. I have used them on three elk trips and have always gotten compliments from outfitters and other hunters on there clarity. I have also dropped them out of a tree stand (OOPS 22ft.) they handled it no problem.
Old 01-23-2003, 08:29 PM
Spike

I have the Leupold P1's and love them. But the Pentax DCF WP line is one of the very best binos out there for the $$$.