Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Highlighted hunt of the year, so far... >

Highlighted hunt of the year, so far...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Highlighted hunt of the year, so far...

Old 11-02-2007, 06:54 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Highlighted hunt of the year, so far...

I got into my stand, and was standing there.....just finishing getting dressed and getting my bow ready. I hadn't had time to put on my facemask, yet, but it was only 6:20. I heard a deer coming from behind the way I was facing (facing the tree). Is it me....or do you guys "think" you can tell when it's a buck???

Anyways.....with a hole in the canopy of the trees above me....I can make out he's a big-bodied deer. Could it be? He gets to a spot I later ranged to be 7 yds.....right beside my tree....and stands there. I get my glasses up....and it's "him".....the one I call the bull. Dangit. It's dark. But I did pick the right spot! He stays there for 5 miutes just looking around, and I enjoy every second of it. He's beautiful! He finally just slowly walked away (towards where I saw him last year near Thanksgiving....and where I'll be hunting tomorrow afternoon).

After that.....the day couldn't be bad. I ended up having 23 doe sightings...of what I think to be 10-12 different does (I know I saw a few of them, twice) and 3 buck sightings. The other two bucks were little guys harrassing the does. Fun to watch.

I'll be in the same tree in the morning. Hopefully he'll be a little later coming home.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Highlighted hunt of the year, so far...

That's a great hunt! I love when things like that happen. I got in the stand once and was sitting there in the morning darkness. I heard a deer coming to me. Like you, I knew it was a buck just by the way it was walking. It was pitch black. He got to within about 5 yards and just stood there. I couldn't see him AT ALL. Then he did a couple of snort wheezes!! You wanna talk about exciting!! I have no idea how big he was but that was a rush!

Sounds like you need my to help thin your does Jeff!!

Old 11-02-2007, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I also had a similar encounter one morning when I climbed up into my stand in the dark and heard something coming. hadn't even gotten my bow pulled up when I looked down directly in front of my tree and there he was a 11 pointer just kinda hanging out rubbing his beautiful antlers on a small bush that I lay my coat on while getting ready to climb my tree. He stayed there while I pulled my bow up and strapped on my release then slowly walked off up the valley and into oblivion. Never did see that deer again that year but sure did wish he woulda showed up a 1/2 hour later.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds like a great morning..Cept you should still be there..if work/life permit..lol What's the "bull" wearing for head-gear this year?
Old 11-02-2007, 07:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

Here comes the Bull

Old 11-02-2007, 07:15 AM
Typical Buck

Its a blast! I had a great morning this morning, saw 3 or 4 small bucks running all kinds of does and one nice big 8 or 10 pointer kind of observing the action but not actively participating. won' t be but days from now he will lose his cool, just hope i am there when it happens!!
Old 11-02-2007, 07:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds very exciting!! I was watching a respectable buck chase a doe all over the place in my back yard this morning! I have 1200 acres of a christmas tree farm all around me nothing but fencerows and christmas trees. I can hunt it all, but so can alot of other guys! ANyways Jeff sounds very exciting and Good luck getting your BULL!!!
Old 11-02-2007, 07:21 AM
Dominant Buck

Here's what he looked like in July. He's still sportin all his tines. I don't think he gets ANY grief from the other bucks, here. He's got a huge body for around here.

Old 11-02-2007, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Here's what he looked like in July. He's still sportin all his tines. I don't think he gets ANY grief from the other bucks, here. He's got a huge body for around here.

Beautiful looking deer again Good luck getting him!
Old 11-02-2007, 07:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

That's funny. I was going to ask if there had been any sign of the bull yet this year. As Germ said how's he looking this year? Good luck getting a crack at him.

Quick Reply: Highlighted hunt of the year, so far...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.