Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 New to forum/bowhunting >

New to forum/bowhunting

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New to forum/bowhunting

Old 10-30-2007, 07:13 PM
Spike

Default New to forum/bowhunting

I've been lurking here for a couple of weeks. I feel like I "know" a few of you from reading all the posts. I am 46 y/o and live in central Vermont. My 8 y/o son asked me if we could hunt last fall while he was watching one of the cable hunting shows. We do alot of fishing together (with his 4 y/o brother too) so I told him to give me a couple of hunting seasons to get back into deer hunting then we could start getting him familiar with firearm safety,range shooting,state mandated hunter safety etc.
I have a number of friends who hunt with guns and bows. I put in about 55 hours last fall during rifle/muzzleloader season with no bucks spotted.

This summer I thought it would be fun to take up bowhunting so I borrowed my friends older Browning compound bow and immersed myself in as much as I could read about archery/bowhunting. Two months of target practice almost everyday and I felt confident up to 20 yards. Took the Vermont State bow safety course and sat in a treestand about 14 times during our 3 week early bow season which ended two days ago. Now my older boy wants a bow and he is itching to get started with rifle hunting next year. Both the boys have helped me scout and sat quietly one afternoon for about an hour while we waited to spot a deer.
I am looking forward to teaching both my boys about hunting as we have really spent some quality time together fishing.

Thanks for reading my long post. Looking forward to chatting with you folks some more.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:16 PM

Default RE: New to forum/bowhunting

That right there is what it's all about! Pleased to meet you, and I also look forward to chatting with you.....Welcome aboard!
Old 10-30-2007, 07:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

welcome, and that does sound like some quaility time, sounds like your going about it in the right way also
Old 10-30-2007, 07:20 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-30-2007, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome!!! Congrats to you for getting the kids involved, the best times I can remember with my father as a kid were all in the woods. It's truly a special thing to share with friends and family.

Where in Central, VT? I grew up in Rutland County and lived in both Clarendon and Shrewsbury as a kid. I know of lots of places in those areas where there is some pretty good hunting.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:31 PM
Spike

Woodstock. I get over to Rutland county frequently to play music with my friends. Clarendon is a beautiful area. My wife and I thru hiked the Appalachain Trail in '93 and went through Clarendon Gorge on the Long Trail.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: greenmountain

Woodstock. I get over to Rutland county frequently to play music with my friends. Clarendon is a beautiful area. My wife and I thru hiked the Appalachain Trail in '93 and went through Clarendon Gorge on the Long Trail.
Heh, if you hiked that area, you actually hiked past the property line of my old hunting grounds, just past spring lake. We used to swim and hike and camp in the gorge all the time when I was younger. Woodstock is a beautiful area as well, I was in that area many times as a kid. If you need leads on good hunting ground and are willing to drive to the Clarendon/Shrewsburyarea, feel free to shoot me a PM. I don't hunt that area anymore and know of a few places that aren't hunted that hard during bow season with great deer numbers and would be happy to pass them on to you.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mobow

That right there is what it's all about! Pleased to meet you, and I also look forward to chatting with you.....Welcome aboard!
amen, I second that.. welcome aboard
Old 10-30-2007, 08:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome, hope you and the boy have a great season together.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Weclome to the forum!

Quick Reply: New to forum/bowhunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.