Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 That CERTAIN deer on your mind? >

That CERTAIN deer on your mind?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

That CERTAIN deer on your mind?

Old 10-30-2007, 11:51 AM

Default That CERTAIN deer on your mind?

I was wondering if any of you have that ONE certain deer that you always think about?

On one of our properties we hunt I've got a 14 pointer that I videoed back in August that looks like a mule deer w/ matching split G-2's. I have only seen him once after that but he wouldn't come into bow range.
The real reason I ask this is b/c I just pulled the trailcamera this morning on the property that I live onand I haven't stopped thinking about this buck untill I saw him on the camera about 6 hours ago. I know I haven't seen this deer but I'm pretty sure my dad did about 3 weeks ago.

What about you all and is itthe deer your hunting for this season?
Old 10-30-2007, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: That CERTAIN deer on your mind?

One I had on my mind is dead as of two weeks ago. Hes getting mounted, now with one tag left here in Idaho I have 3 bucks on my mind in three different areas. Ive got sheds to these 3 or video or both... One of which I will hunt tonight.

I also have one in ND on my mind that I got to scout this summer. Thats if my buddiesTim and Tylerlet me hunt him when I get there! LOL He'll probably have him killed by then...

NY, good luck on yours, I spend a lot of nights scheming it up..instead of getting any sleep.. I love it.

Hope you can seal the deal on your big boy.. let see those pix!
Old 10-30-2007, 12:01 PM
Dominant Buck

I've had one particular buck on my mind since the '05 season. I've had my chances.....I just haven't executed. I've seen him on film as late as July/August of this year. I haven't seen him yet, this season.....but I haven't expected to, YET.

I feel like my time's running out to take him. He's gotta be 4.5, this year. He has WAY too much sanctuary for me to think I'm going to have too many more sightings, much less opportunities, at him.

I'd give plenty to be able to take him. We have a history.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

I’m not in a situation to target a specific buck, but if all the ones I saw over the summer scouting were lined up in front of me, I would drill this massive monster 8 pt. his frame is huge. Ranks in the top 3 of the biggest looking bucks I’ve ever seen in my life. I can’t say he scores the most only being an 8, but like I said his frame is unreal.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Anybody who knows me on here knows that i talk about the 13 pointer in my area alot. I have at least 1 picture of him and possibly a few more. As far as i can tell hes still alive but i have never seen him in person.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:07 PM

I began bow hunting again last year and I have learned quite a bit from this forum and a good friend. I set my goals this year to try and shoot an 8 or better and a doe. All that was fine and dandy until I get two 3.5 yr old deer on my trail camera and one is the best I have ever seen from any spot that I have hunted. Therefore now I can't limit myself with my previous goal. That being said it is a nice problem to have with a couple of nice deer traveling through the woods that I am hunting. I will post the links for the deer. I passed up a 2.5 year old 10 last week, but I sure enjoy getting the oppurtunity to hunt. Good luck to you guys!
http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff6/jrhankins_photos/bucks1007.jpg
http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff6/jrhankins_photos/buck1007-2.jpg
Old 10-30-2007, 01:39 PM
Fork Horn

Yea I have a certain Deer in the back of my mind. I have had him in my mind for about 3 years. In 2004 a lot of people were seeing this giant 12 pointer basically right outside of town. Well I put up a treestand and hunt it for the next month and finally see a 12 pointer. I shoot him knowing that either people were exaggerating or they just can't see cuz he's a nice buck, ended up scoring 145 but he isnt the monster that they all said they saw. Well I showed a bunch of them and they said no that is definately not him. This deer has the widest rack I've seen in a long time and is just a complete giant. Supposedly going in the high 170's". Well I never saw that deer for the rest of the season but I heard that a few rifle hunters had a chance at him and he pretty much ran into town after they missed him.
Now, 3 seasons later...my brother and I are fairly certain that exact deer is back to his old pattern where everyone was seeing him. He has the body of a cow and he walks like it hurts. Definately older than 6.5.His rack is definately going down hill....but it still appears he's gonna be in the 150's.We are both trying to get him and at night, when i lay down, it's the last thing i think about, and the first thing i think about when i get up.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

none right now[]

I have been after 3 specific bucks in the past. A 11 which was taken after my second bow season after him (grossed near 190 after they glued half his rack back on, he was 5.5 or so), a monster 12 with forked brows that dissapeared 3 years ago as a 3.5 year grossing around 180" My brother and I passed him as a 135" 2.5 year old. (I still fanticize when I hunt that property about that world class deer, but he is no longer there, I know his tracks and they dissapeared the 2nd week of season that year)....arrowor poacher got him.

Then there was a massive 10 point typical hog bodied deer I got 5 trailcam pics of2 years ago over a three week spread, one of which was right under my stand while i hunted a few hundred yards away.[] Still dont know how big he was as I never got a good pic, caught just a glimpse of him chasing a doe....somewhere 160-180". Really odd how he suddenly appeared for so long (in daylight!!)then dissapeared forever. I just didnt get the job done, no excuses.

Old 10-31-2007, 03:40 AM

Here is the one i'm going after, I got picture's of him all summer long and I know where he is staying most of the time. I haven't been able to get in there because of all the rain and the river was to high. I got me a pair of waders and i'm going after him this weekend.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Several, but here is one.

Quick Reply: That CERTAIN deer on your mind?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.