Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 First Bow Kill: Nannywackin Style >

First Bow Kill: Nannywackin Style

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

First Bow Kill: Nannywackin Style

Old 10-29-2007, 09:38 PM
Fork Horn

Default First Bow Kill: Nannywackin Style

Well guys, im happy to report that ive successfully harvested my first deer with my bow. It wasn't easy but i think thats why the experience was so rewarding, i swear im still shaking. I took up bow hunting this year, shotgun season was too short and i was looking for an extra challenge. I loved the idea of sitting in a stand with nothing more than a bow and arrow. After i bought my bow i began practicing like crazy, i wanted to be shooting as good as possible so that when the oppurtunity presented itself i would be confident taking the shot. Before tonight it was an extremely tough season, i have been hunting hard since October 1st. Previously i had only had one encounter with three deer that were 200 yards away, obviously no where close to bow range. Tonight was the first night i would be hunting some private property that my buddy owns. He doesn't hunt and i knew it would be a great undisturbed spot. I put up a 15' ladder stand 5 days ago and left it alone until tonight. Got to my stand around 5:00 and the wind was perfect, right in my face about 15 km/h. At around 6:30 a squirel started heading my way and at this point i was anxious to harvest anything with my bow. I swapped my arrows, stood up and got to full draw as he looked up, saw me, and took off running. At that point, i swapped arrows again and turned to hang my bow up. As i looked to my left a fawn was standing on the edge of a dried up pond around 30 yards out. The pond was now growing some kind of vegetation that the deer are apparently feeding on. I wasn't crazy about shooting a fawn but the season had been so tough i was happy to have a chance at anything. As i got to full draw i realized i had absolutely no shot, twigs and branches blocking any possible shooting lane. At that moment a large doe appeared out of nowhere and trotted directly between me and the fawn roughly 18-20 yards out. I was so nervous it was insane. I barely held myself together and just told myself youve practiced this shot tons of times, you can do it. It seemed like i forgot to hold my bow all together, it was rediculous. I got to full draw, took a few deep breaths, centred my 20 yard pin a little high on the kill zone because of the angle and realeased. I watched my fletching disappear and come out the other side. I wasnt sure of the hit because i was so excited. As i watched her run she piled up 50 yards from my stand. The field dress proved that i double lunged her, the Rage 2 blademade huge entrance and exit wounds. These broadheads are the real deal.I couldnt be more happy, all the hours in my stand, all the practice arrows ive shot, all just payed off. It was an unbelievable night that i wont ever forget. IM OFFICIALLY AN ADDICTED BOWHUNTER.

Can anyone give me an idea of her age?

Old 10-29-2007, 09:42 PM

Default RE: First Bow Kill: Nannywackin Style

ORIGINAL: StrikeTrue

Well guys, im happy to report that ive successfully harvested my first deer with my bow. It wasn't easy but i think thats why the experience was so rewarding, i swear im still shaking. I took up bow hunting this year, shotgun season was too short and i was looking for an extra challenge. I loved the idea of sitting in a stand with nothing more than a bow and arrow. After i bought my bow i began practicing like crazy, i wanted to be shooting as good as possible so that when the oppurtunity presented itself i would be confident taking the shot. Before tonight it was an extremely tough season, i have been hunting hard since October 1st. Previously i had only had one encounter with three deer that were 200 yards away, obviously no where close to bow range. Tonight was the first night i would be hunting some private property that my buddy owns. He doesn't hunt and i knew it would be a great undisturbed spot. I put up a 15' ladder stand 5 days ago and left it alone until tonight. Got to my stand around 5:00 and the wind was perfect, right in my face about 15 km/h. At around 6:30 a squirel started heading my way and at this point i was anxious to harvest anything with my bow. I swapped my arrows, stood up and got to full draw as he looked up, saw me, and took off running. At that point, i swapped arrows again and turned to hang my bow up. As i looked to my left a fawn was standing on the edge of a dried up pond around 30 yards out. The pond was now growing some kind of vegetation that the deer are apparently feeding on. I wasn't crazy about shooting a fawn but the season had been so tough i was happy to have a chance at anything. As i got to full draw i realized i had absolutely no shot, twigs and branches blocking any possible shooting lane. At that moment a large doe appeared out of nowhere and trotted directly between me and the fawn roughly 18-20 yards out. I was so nervous it was insane. I barely held myself together and just told myself youve practiced this shot tons of times, you can do it. It seemed like i forgot to hold my bow all together, it was rediculous. I got to full draw, took a few deep breaths, centred my 20 yard pin a little high on the kill zone because of the angle and realeased. I watched my fletching disappear and come out the other side. I wasnt sure of the hit because i was so excited. As i watched her run she piled up 50 yards from my stand. The field dress proved that i double lunged her, the Rage 2 blademade huge entrance and exit wounds. These broadheads are the real deal.I couldnt be more happy, all the hours in my stand, all the practice arrows ive shot, all just payed off. It was an unbelievable night that i wont ever forget. IM OFFICIALLY AN ADDICTED BOWHUNTER.

Congrats on your first! I fixed the pics for ya. Next time, change the [IMG] to lower case [img] for the pics to show.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:43 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks man.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:47 PM

No problem! Great pics BTW.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:51 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats and nice shot. Also nice pics.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:08 PM
Typical Buck

Sweet Dude.......Great Pic's..I love the blood on the tree
Old 10-30-2007, 05:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

way to go a big congrats
Old 10-30-2007, 05:31 AM
Fork Horn

Congrats. The first one is one you'll never forget! Welcome to the addiction that is bowhunting.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nice Doe!
Congrats. What a blood trail too!
Very nice.

Old 10-30-2007, 07:44 AM
Fork Horn

I was skeptical about the Rage broadheads, didnt really know what to expect, not like i have shot a deer with anything else before. Im definately sold on them, they put that deer down fast. Me and my buddies were also curious whether they would deflect if they were forced to go through bone. This arrow went through 2 ribs on the way in and 1 on the way out without any deflection. Impressive.

Quick Reply: First Bow Kill: Nannywackin Style

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.