Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 A Rob buck, AGAIN Story and Pics. (History comparison page 8) >

A Rob buck, AGAIN Story and Pics. (History comparison page 8)

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

A Rob buck, AGAIN Story and Pics. (History comparison page 8)

Old 10-29-2007, 08:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default A Rob buck, AGAIN Story and Pics. (History comparison page 8)

I knew it was going to be a beautiful day. Kurt called me yesterday and says, "Hey, I just saw the weather for up there tomorrow, it's going to be frost, you going out?" Of course I replied, I won't miss a day, evening or morning for the next two weeks.

So when the alarm went off I have to admit I was a little more than tired but I fought myself out of bed and into the shower. It was brisk out when I pulled my boots on, hobbled up the bank and down the trail to the hollow here at the house. I wanted to see if that buck Jeff called in would show himself another morning. It was brisk and clear but nothing showed this frosty morning. I have to admit, I'm was frusterated and got down early, back to the house and took a deserved nap.

I woke and showered and went to physical therapy. Once home I spent some needed time alone with my wife. We don't get to see each other much this time of year. She knows I hunt so she books herself later at work. We snuggled on the couch, her, I and the dog until I knew I had to shower for the afternoon hunt. It was about 3:00 when I got in the shower and I wanted to be in the tree by 4:00.

4:00 found me in my tree, relaxed and enjoying the beautiful fall colors. I decided to hunt my food plot stand even though we didn't see a deer here Saturday night. Matt hung in the set with me that night and I told him, this stand has been too good to me not to give it some time. The evening dragged on slowly. The wind was blowing from the plot back into the woods but in the direction I know deer shouldn't come from so I was confident I was set if anything came out into the plot. I was listening to the crows, geese singing as they flew over, the neighbor combining his corn. The sun slowly died as the darkness started to creep in. I looked at my watch, 6:05...magic hour. As the combine winded down to dump his load, the wind calmed as well and I could have sworn I heard a deer moving about in the woods behind me to my left. I wasn't positive but I really thought it was a deer, then I thought it was a squirrel, no that is definately a deer. I grabbed my call and gave a couple grunts followed with a couple contact calls. I hear scurrying but nothing came. Then the combine fired up again. I strained to hear each crunch in the leaves behind me. Darkness continued to creep in. I heard some more leaves crunching, now darn it, I'm positive there is a deer back there. I remember thinking about Saturday evening when GMMAT set up back there as I told him the deer stage there before coming out at times BUT they could come from anywhere and this food plot stand is situated on a funnel. The scurrying continued. Again, I grunted and contact called. THis time I heard "it" coming. Usually I can tell the difference between a buck and a doe walking but this time I wasn't sure.

I did know it was a lone deer but I couldn't tell if it was a buck or small button coming. Closer the steps came, at this point I've pulled my head net off so my hearing wasn't impaired. The deer wasn't but 30 yards and I still could not see it because of the brush....I waited...suddenly a figure emerged into the CRP field surround my plot, that's a good buck I said to myself and went to reach for my bow but HEY...what the heck....I glassed the buck from the side...OH Rob's luck it's busted...I think...he took a couple nibbles from my clovers and then looked my way...WHOA he's out around his ears.....HHhmmmm 3.5 year old at least and look at his friggin neck.....I'm taking him. I grabbed my bow as he fed. I ranged him quickly comfirming my estimation...26 yards...As I drew he started walking. I waited while he passed a couple shrubs I left in the plot for them to scrape under and work licking branches....Mmaah, he stopped, I put him at 27 yards at this point, buried my 30 yard pin at the bottom of his heart, my 20 floated at the top....as long as he doesn't drop, he's mine......

I loosed the arrow and heard the unmistakable smack of a solid hit as the buck tore out of there...not 40 yards on his hoof I could tell he was hurting as I had my binoculars up and watching...he slowed, staggered, layed down and expired. I sat watching him nervously not wanting him to get up...I've seen that, don't want to do that again...I knew he was done. I started making a couple phone calls. While talking to GMMAT I ranged him from my tree. He layed 74 yards away.

I made several more calls as I walked over to him I was actually very impressed with him. What a solid animal. His broken side was up however it was very visable from the stand. He's a broken rack 7 point now, would have been a very solid 8 point.

I am very happy with him. He should go around 95 inches and clearly weighs 200 plus pounds. I called my landowner to help me get him in my truck and take some pictures.

The next couple pictures are not for the faint of heart but for the true diehard hunters, here is the entrance hole...Rocky Mountain Snyper 2 blade, 100 grain.

Again, a very solid buck of at least 3.5 yrs old. He filled the bed of my Titan's 5.5' bed.

I found the broadhead end of my arrow but did not find my fletch end until I processed the animal.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:04 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: A Rob buck, AGAIN...LOL Story and Pics.

Congrats Rob. I know oyu have been threw alot this year. Glad to see you bag a nice whitetail. You earned it. Good job buddy. B ythe way did your wife give you my message
Typical Buck

Great Buck Rob...that right side is pretty cool..congrat's..

Nice! looks like a perfect shot there.

C
Old 10-29-2007, 08:05 PM
Typical Buck

Nice Buck Rob!!!! I've only been waiting 4 hours for this story!!!

Congrats
~Vikes
Old 10-29-2007, 08:06 PM

Congrats on the fine buck Rob, it is even more spectacular since you are recovering from your injury still...
Giant Nontypical

Man, that thing's got a horse of a head!!

So what's your taxi say about you bringing all these busted rack and one-rack deer in to him? [8D]
Giant Nontypical

Congrats, Nice buck!!!!!!!
Nontypical Buck

Great job buddy! HES A FREAK!!! haha. Congrats im happy for you.

Ryan.

I think I speak for all of the PA hunters out there when I say this....

Thanks for taking out the .........less desirable.......bucks out of the breeding equation....

Congrats my friend!! Sounds like an awesome hunt to me, and the pics prove it!!! My favorite of those is the arrow in the heart........Rob's new nickname is .....>Cupid.....

Quick Reply: A Rob buck, AGAIN Story and Pics. (History comparison page 8)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.